www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Attachment Types

Attachment Types

I think that PDF's should be added to the list of accepted file types. To my knowledge, there is nothing potentially harmful about them...

And HTML files, what's more harmful attatching them than linking to them? Once on a different forum, I wrote a lengthly message and attatched a HTML file. I then submitted it and it told me I couldn't attatch it, and I lost the whole post! I don't think there's anything too harmful about HTML files.

Neil
    if($neil=="stuck"){echo("Help!");
    pull_out("hair", $neil);
    $neil=bald;}
    else{echo("What do you want?");}

The United States Site: http://kellyj.t35.com
    I agree completely with both, except that many people can't view PDF files. I don't have Adobe (and never will) so when I need to view a PDF file, I pray it is on Google, type in the address, and pray for a view as HTML button.

I've had troubles with HTML files before too.

Steelersfan: Dont you use IE? I thought a PDF viewer is installed with IE6.

HTML files can contain harmful VBScripts (or JavaScripts) which could potentially damage the recipients machine. So, while HTML files are mostly fine, some people feel the need to write harmfdul scripts. Because of this, these files are probably not considered safe.

PDF files can contain macros, right? If so, they would also be considered as a potentially harmful ducument.

Regards,
    Andrew Buntine.

Originally posted by Buntine
    HTML files can contain harmful VBScripts (or JavaScripts) which could potentially damage the recipients machine.
    But if a mod opened all HTML files in Notepad (or similar) first, then the troublesome code wold not be executed, but spotted by a moderator who would not put it on the main forum. There would be a special moderators forum, which all posts with a HTML attatchment would go first. Only mods and administrators could then click a button either to let it go to the main forum or delete it. This way, any malicious code would be spotted, and deleted, before it appears on the main forum.

Anyway, ZIP files are allowed, which can contain any file type, including .html/htm's.

Neil
    pull_out("hair", $neil);
    $neil=bald;}

Anyway, ZIP files are allowed, which can contain any file type, including .html/htm's.
    Precisely, eliminating the need for HTML docs to be attached to posts.

It just seems like alot of trouble. Malicious posters would simply attach zip files rather than HTML docs.

Regards.

Originally posted by buntine
    It just seems like alot of trouble. Malicious posters would simply attach zip files rather than HTML docs.
    But malicious posters can already attatch ZIP files.
    pull_out("hair", $neil);
    $neil=bald;}

True, i just think that there is no need to go to that extra effort to prevent maleous when there is already a perfect step-around for them.

The admins may aswell just allow HTML files to be attached. Adding a whole new forum to check for 'evil' docs is pointless.

Regards.

Originally posted by buntine
    I thought a PDF viewer is installed with IE6.
    Never heard of this, when i click a PDF link, it will ask me to download.

I just checked the web service and it said nothing about a pdf viewer, maybe its an addon?

NOTE: Looked it up and it seemed that this was an option that is available when Adobe is installed.

Ok. Why dont you install the PDF viewer?

i've only found it for mac so far!

What???

Its on every cover CD i have ever seen!

This took all of about 8 seconds to find: http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/alternate.html

Regards,
    Andrew Buntine.

Sorry to confuse you because I was confused.

I found a PDF viewer to configure with IE for Macs only. I know I can use a product from Adobe, but that is a different product than what I had previously mentioned.

Since this is a web developer forum, it is hard to imagine a member of a forum who does not have a some web space he/she are working with.
    Why bother attaching files when they can be uploaded to their domain and be linked to? It will also make much easier for those taking their time to check the problem and address it.

I would rather prohibit any attachment and make it a forum rule that if you have a problem with a code, put it in a file, upload to your domain and link to it.
    Vladdy

Working web site is not the one that looks the same in a few graphical browsers, but the one that adequately delivers its content to any device accessing it.

Originally posted by Vladdy
    Why bother attaching files when they can be uploaded to their domain and be linked to?
    Some people, like me are cautious of giving away their website address. Linking to my site would give away my email address, which I don't want.
    Originally posted by Vladdy
    It will also make much easier for those taking their time to check the problem and address it.
    How?

Neil
    pull_out("hair", $neil);
    $neil=bald;}

Thread Information