www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: meta question

Hybrid View

Question meta question

Well to someone this thread will sound a little bit noobish. But I have some sort of problem.

In head part of the pages we have this kind of meta tag. <meta name="keywords" content="">

My question is:
    Is it possible to write inside something like that: Valid CSS, CSS tutorials.
    I am asking this because I have heard once that if you write two or more words which are the same in the meta tag that the search engines will bann you from their databases. I know that this is because of spamm protection. If you have more words which are the same in your meta tags that you will get higher ranking!

If you are familliar with that I would like to hear some sort of the explanation.
    "There are only two forces in the world, the sword and the spirit. In the long run the sword will always be coquered by the spirit!" Napoleon Bonaparte

I very much doubt that since they are two different terms whereas: css, css, would be spamming the keywords.

Normally if I am putting in terms with a similar word, I seperate them with another phrase... Like this:

Valid CSS, web design help, CSS tutorials

You are not in danger of spamming but you are in danger of being less than efficient.

The different search engines have different tecniques (and some ignore keyword meta tags) but it is generally not useful to keep repeating any word or term. You said CSS once, that should be enough. Tutorials, that's a differnt word, so it should be there.

Pay attention to the titles on your pages and make sure the density of the terms you want to be known for is high (ie, how many times does the word CSS appear on the page? )Twice in a 100 word page? You may want to insert CSS into the text a couple more times. That would help your ranking with most search engines more than repeating it in the meta tags.

CSS is a tough term to be known for. There's lot of competition.

Thx for this.
    "There are only two forces in the world, the sword and the spirit. In the long run the sword will always be coquered by the spirit!" Napoleon Bonaparte

For what it's worth, I read somewhere recently that it's no longer necessary to separate individual keywords from keyword phrases. In other words, "web design help" will be indexed the same as "web, design, help". So, a search for "web design" or "web help" would each show the same page in the results (I know it's a little more complicated than that - just trying to make the point).
    Computer Zen:
    Program aborting
    Close all that you have worked on
    You ask far too much

Thread Information