dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Review!!!!!!

Talking Review!!!!!!

Hi, ive just started re-updating my site again. Can give any more comments/improvements which i can use?
    Thanks
    It's only took me 'bout 30 mins or so!
    Cheers

Sorry, it's

www.freewebs.com/chrisa2003

Well first things first. I looked at your source and it appears that almost your entire page (if not all) is coded in JavaScript. This is not good because people with JavaScript disabled will not be able to see anything.

I would have to say that the second most important thing I found was that you are requiring people to login. This will drive away alot of traffic. If you have to use a login system then just use it for part of your site, such as a member area, and not all of it.

Personally I don't like animated images or backgrounds in your case. I would suggest making your background permanent. I also believe that it would probably reak havic on dial-up users but I'm not sure about that cause I have dsl.

Those are just some of the first things I spotted. I'm sure there is more but that's a start. Sorry if all I have is bad news but I'm just trying to be honest.

bright green, red and blue dont go very well together in my opinion.

i would also get rid of the login.

at first sight i though the menu had not loaded properly, and i dont like the revolving effect thing - i like to see all the links at the same time.

The United States Site: http://kellyj.t35.com
    at least you got a menu, i spent minutes waiting for the login picture to appear. You definately have to decrease the size of your page!

i don't like the fake login stuff, its just a redirect. The picture doesn't match at all (the black background) and I normally don't critiqe images.

The please wait ... will drive away some viewers, plus I can't even see the whole menu because the menu, that could be a standard menu, like:

Link1
    Link2
    Link3

is in the way.

I don't like the way that the select options are huge. You have to get rid of the close window button, users no how to close your window. You also have to lose the top button, as your page, if printed, would not take up more than a page or so. And you don't need an a name=top to go to, linking to # will take you to the top automatically.

I also, and remember me not to be a graphics guy, do not like the colors scheme. I think, if you arew to keep your picture, should center it with the rest of the page.

Also, the final fantasy link at the top rewquires me to click it twice, not sure why, but that drove me crazy

Those colors are so bad they will give a blind person seizures. You should look into a color schemer -- something that will show you colors and related colors that go well with them.

I also agree that the javascript is way too much. Javascript should be used subtly to provide your users with useful items... use standard HTML elements whenever possible to avoid problems for your visitors.

The United States Site: http://kellyj.t35.com
    wow devnate, you really hate thoise colors, huh? Javascript is way too much, no need for a revolving menu or anything that could be done by HTML means.

All the javascript stuff is cool, but sometimes you have to step back and ask yourself... What are my visitors coming to my website for? Are they here for a cool javascript menu, or are they coming for the content I have on my website?

You have to keep in mind that the back button is easily clicked if your layout looks even remotely confusing or if your visitor doesnt *see* anything of real use.

Remember, you are competing with a billion other websites for your visitor's time. Make good use of their time and they will be back. Bad use of their time and... well like I said... the back button is really really handy.

Well, I didn't get past the first page with the seizure-inducing flashing background...

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    wow.
    that flashing background wasn't as bad as i expected, but the green background after that seemingly pointless login made my eyes hurt and i had to leave. personally, i like the revolving menu (i've used it myself). yet what i noticed is that it basically looks like you've just dug up a bunch of scripts that can be alright on their own but do add up very quickly.

also i noticed that at the bottom of page new.html (i think) the extra menus you've added are HUGE. that kinda turned me off since they were elsewhere anyways.

Thread Information