www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: stopping caching

stopping caching

Is there a piece of code or script that will keep AOL and other browsers from caching a web page? We update daily and some computer systems and browsers will cache the page and when the user goes back to it they do not see the updated changes. This seems to happen most with AOL users. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You could try placing a no-cache header in the HTML document. Maybe try META tags to tell the AOL servers to stop f#$%ing caching your pages!!

AOL does that. It caches pages on their servers, then when you visit a site, it tries to pull it from the AOL cache and not the originating web server.

Tell AOL users to get a real ISP.

EDIT: I'm sorry, that was really cynical but you get my point

I have tried telling my boss (the AOL user) to switch over to the light side of the force, but they are like junkies on that AOL. I will see if I can find a no-cache header that will work.
    If anybody knows of something that stops AOL from caching on their servers please let me know.

That did help. I at least have the general direction to work in now. I will post back and let everyone know exactly how it worked out. Thanks.

Anybody know why AOL would do that caching thing anyway?

I'm curious. Does it save them money? Or is it some old school hangover that they haven't remedied?
    Web Usability Analyst/Content Writer
    "Happy info trails to you." Vannevar Bush

Originally posted by bizability
    Anybody know why AOL would do that caching thing anyway?

I'm curious. Does it save them money? Or is it some old school hangover that they haven't remedied?
    It's probably their supposed supposed “high speed” dial-up or some such thing.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Never shall the sun kiss my face
    And caress me with it's burning light
    For I dwell in the shadows
    And sleep side by side with death

Aha. Supposed alleged "high speed" dial up. Very interesting. Very clever ploy. Very disingenuous. Very...well, you know.

You very clever to spot such things, and unmask them. This theory, or fact if it indeed be true and verifiable, is very...well, you know.

Give you what you already have on your browser offline, and call it....surely you must be joking here....I....I.....I hardly know what to say.....help me....I've fallen.....and I can't get up.

I'm no speed freak. I have dial up MSN and I'm totally satifsfied. While I wait for large files, usually graphics that are not worth the wait, I read a page out of a book, or fiddle with my constantly on CD player, Starsailor CD or something.

Thanks for replying. You are very clever person. Ha! Use your cleverness for good ethical causes. There is a good vs. evil, genuine vs. phony, selfless vs. selfish war going on. Stay in the light.
    Web Usability Analyst/Content Writer
    "Happy info trails to you." Vannevar Bush

Yes, those alleged “high speed” dial-up ISP's are really just a crock. Dial-up sucks whatever way you look at it.
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Never shall the sun kiss my face
    And caress me with it's burning light
    For I dwell in the shadows
    And sleep side by side with death

Making progress

I talked to my ISP and they said they can't change their apache config file because it would affect everybody on that server but they told me that a .htaccess file is what most people use to set up controls and this file works at the directory level not the server level. Apparently I just create a text file name it .htaccess and use the correct grammar that Apache will give you freely on their website. Then drop it in my root directory of my website and "presto" I have control back again. Ha! ha! AOL take that.

Thread Information