dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Best page you've seen???

Best page you've seen???

Every now and then I take (read -waste) time randomly surfing the internet to get ideas for the webpage. A lot of times I am really unimpressed by the pages of mega corporations which seem to be sub-par. I just wondered if I ask the question: what is the best page (layout, content, graphics, etc) that you are aware of? what answers would I get. Here is one that definately is up there for me. I'm not a runner, and don't particularly care for nike, but their pages are sweet.

http://www.nike.com/nikerunning/usa/home.jhtml

what is/are yours?

I don't know... I think they have a bit of an overkill with Flash...

It's all about audience, folks. Nike's design works for them because of the demographics they cater to. It wouldn't be appropriate for a nursing home's web site or a news station's site. Consider the median type of person and study the product designs already in circulation for that group. You'll find there is a method there... color pallet... type style... imagery.

But anyway... I like www.msnbc.com

Nike's site looks okay to the general audience's eye, but to a webdeveloper's eye, its just as horrid as some of my first pages. It uses frames, and it appears that he only reason they do this is to hide their source. In these frames, it uses tables for layout, when it definitely doesn't have to. Also, to write the source for the frames, and for the page to actually show up, it requires Javascript, which not everyone has enabled. It overuses flash, so if you haven't got the latest version of Flash player(or version 6 works, aswell), it won't work. Therefor, it looks ok to someone who has javascript enabled, frame-capable browser, and the latest version of Flash player, but if you do not have any one of these, it will not appear correctly. It is very important to consider browser compatibility when designing your site. Not using Flash for menus/navigation is definitely a good start. Using CSS, rather than tables for layout is very important. Finally, NEVER USE FRAMES. Once in a while, it is alright to include an IFrame, but you should keep these limited. Also, it is important to kep 'flashy' animations at a minimum. Also, try to limit your Javascript usage, so it will accomodate non-Javascript-enabled users. NEVER use Javascript for a mandatory function. I tend to like sites with subtle color schemes, Ryan(pyro)'s Site, for example. Also, CSS zen Garden has some very nice layouts and I'm sure you will be able to find inspiration for a layout there. Hope this is helpful,
    -Dan
    Last edited by Daniel T; 04-01-2004 at 01:11 PM.

If you're talkin' Flash-only sites, 2Advanced's older Flash site was totally awesome. I also really like XeoFreestyle's 2000 site a lot.

[J]ona

DanieLTomaS, your link to CSS Zen Garden is broken.

msnbc has far too much advertising. And I find advertising to be an eye sore, I know that in todays e-commerce it's indispensible. But, websites are suppose to be about content and that should take priority over everything else (and I know I'll end up eating these words sooner than later, even if they are correct ). Besides, why does MicroSoft have to rent advertising space to begin with, it's MS! Hotmail is starting to drive me nuts....

Pyro's site is very nice indeed, but from an aesthetic point of view it needs more contrast for balance. Depending on how it's implemented it would draw more attention to the content.

You know I really haven't been out and about just looking at site designs. My current project is a redesign of a site from 2 years ago, so I really don't know what's in or out these days. But, to be honest I prefer sites that don't require scrolling the client window. I like everything to be available on the screen all at once for easy access. Whether or not that's a good design principle or not, I don't know. I have nothing against sites that use 'elastic' or 'fluid' designs allowing their content to scroll vertically for as long as they'd be kind enough to offer a 'Back To Top.'

Edit: Other than XeoFresstyle's slow loading (that could be me my IP has been slow lately) and long intro their site kicks. I didn't watch it for very long, but if those horizontal particle movements continues indefinately I can see that becoming annoying really fast. I'll definately have to keep them in mind.
    Last edited by tonyh; 04-01-2004 at 02:04 AM.

But they do not have the same class as: http://www.autisticcuckoo.net/

In retrospect, I want to second the opinion on 2Advanced Studios: I like the new site, I lOVED the old one...

Originally posted by Jona
    I also really like XeoFreestyle's 2000 site a lot.
    Well, flash intro is a little to long, but I like it too. But, it is TOTALLY unusable in a resolution lower than 1024x678, because the used the EMBED tag, instead of OBJECT, so you can't scroll the page to see the rest of the movie, all you can see is the center of it, no menu or anything.
    -Dan

I didn't say they were good web developers. They're good at Flash, and I'd say that's about it. I believe they use the object tag on their new site, though it is still invalid markup.

I like the long intro, it goes to show how well they are at Flash development - and did anyone even notice the skip intro button?

and did anyone even notice the skip intro button?
    I did, but it disappears after a couple seconds
    -Dan

Originally posted by DanieLTomaS
    I did, but it disappears after a couple seconds
    No, that's a resolution problem; the button stays there the whole time, it's just in lower resolutions you see the text that appears and disappears after a few seconds.

No, that's a resolution problem; the button stays there the whole time, it's just in lower resolutions you see the text that appears and disappears after a few seconds.
    Ah, I see! Hmm.. I don't even know why I had it set on 800x600, I always use 1024x768!
    -Dan

Since I'm a major Zen Garden fan, I figured it wouldn't be right if I didn't pop in here and plug one of the designs: Linkage

Out of all the ones I've seen, this is probably the one I love the most.

Originally posted by Paul Jr
    Since I'm a major Zen Garden fan, I figured it wouldn't be right if I didn't pop in here and plug one of the designs: Linkage

Out of all the ones I've seen, this is probably the one I love the most.
    One of the best, for sure!

Thread Information