www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to setup linux web server

how to setup linux web server

i am wondering how i can setup a linux webserver up to run on my home network....and maybe on internet....where can i download the files to setup a web server? Is this very hard to do? is it free?hopefully!
    Last edited by sirhcchris3; 03-31-2004 at 07:13 AM.
    Chris.Martz.me
    Some things Man was never meant to know. For everything else, there's Google.

Apache.org has a free web server. The most widely used on the internet, actually. If you are familiar with linux, you should have no problem installing it.
    MonkeyBoy
    http://coupon-monkey.com
    Jr. Web Dev

which linux os should i run the server with....where can i get it free?
    Chris.Martz.me

i'm downloading linux as I speak and want to know if apache will run .asp code....i program in classic asp and need a web server in linux to run .asp.....please help
    Chris.Martz.me

asp isn't going to run on linux.

you need a windows operating system and IIS/PWS to run asp.net/classic.

my advice: learn php

Chilisoft used to make an ASP engine that would run in linux/unix environments. I think I heard that Sun bought them out, though. Sun probably charges for it. The Cheat is right. You should just use PHP. For simple to mid-level web applications you can't beat it.
    MonkeyBoy
    Jr. Web Dev

i found how to run asp.net on linux and am wondering...if it can run .net....will it run classic asp coding? this is where i;m getting this from....http://www.pcquest.com/content/searc...162&way=search
    Chris.Martz.me

I am rather supprised asp.net will run on linux. Yes asp classic will run on linux, apache is the server you are going to want to use infact. http://www.apache-asp.org/ downside is apache asp cannot be done in vbscript, its perl only. There might be other ways to run asp from a linux box, but this is the only way I have seen.

after i download the i386 folder from the ftp server.....how do i know what else i need to download and which cd do i put what on?
    Chris.Martz.me

I don't know what distro you've pulled down but blow it off and go download the 3 ISO Mankrake distro, burn the CDs and do a full install. You'll wind up with a running system including Apache, PHP, a couple of database managers; all installed, configured and running with none of the hassles you seem to be going through.

Originally posted by ray326
    I don't know what distro you've pulled down but blow it off and go download the 3 ISO Mankrake distro, burn the CDs and do a full install. You'll wind up with a running system including Apache, PHP, a couple of database managers; all installed, configured and running with none of the hassles you seem to be going through.
    mandrake

so i don't need the os i need the isos?
    Chris.Martz.me

The ISO's are just file images of CD's. Most CD burning software will burn an ISO. The ISO contains an image of the CD with the OS on it. Once you have the 3 ISO's burned onto CD, you will just install the OS from these 3 CD's.

The reason a lot of Operating Systems distribute the CD's as ISO's, is so you can download the ISO file and just burn it onto a CD, instead of ordering the CD in the mail.
    MonkeyBoy
    Jr. Web Dev

To add to what MonkeyBoy (you're not really Ballmer are you? ) said. When you burn the ISO images of the CDs you will be able to boot off the first one right into the installer; just like any Windows distribution.

Thread Information