www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Resizing webpages to fit 800x600

Resizing webpages to fit 800x600

Is there an easy way to make a webpage automatically resize itself to the size of the viewer's browser window? I designed a webpage in 1024x768(?) then realised when a friend moaned as I have javascript menus on there. You can see the site at www.wiltshirescouts.org.uk/purtonandlydiard. Clicking on "Favourites" or similar produces the same effect.

Although I'm not positive about the problem you're attempting to correct, I can suggest adding height and width statements to your tables and cells to keep the page content from wandering about on very large or very small monitors.

Does this help?
    I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture...

Strategic Internet Services, LLC • www.gostrategic.com

What do tables and cells have to do with page layout???

You do not design page on one resolution and then try to fit it into another. Proper design adjusts to whatever browser window space is given to it.
    Vladdy

Working web site is not the one that looks the same in a few graphical browsers, but the one that adequately delivers its content to any device accessing it.

ted...
    your link is no longer working.

however...if your page is made of an image [or images that work together] that exceed 800 x 600 then you will need to recreate the page to fit 800 x 600. keep in mind that your page actually needs to be smaller that these dimensions since 800 x 600 is the actual screen size. some of this dimension is lost to the browser menus, borders, etc.....particularly the height dimension. but that is more easily compensated with vertical scrolling. use 750 pixels or so for a minimum width. the theory is to build a site page that will expand and contract using tables that will adapt the window size of the visitor. option b is to build a fixed width site that does not exceed 750 pixels or so in width. i think the current stats say that like 35% of internet users still have 800 x 600 resolution settings. [although many of them are that way because they have no idea they can increase the size....and they are stuck with factory settings.]

Last edited by relaxzoolander; 04-01-2004 at 11:38 PM.

I too have the similar problem and looking for some help.

My site is set to work with 800x600, but when someone browse the site whose resolutions is greater than this like 1024x768 my sites header that consists the logo an menu are still displaying in 800x600 size but the result of the PHP script is displaying in 1024x768 or whatever the users setting.

Is there any commands that I can use in the PHP script to restrict the result to 800x600?

Thank you,

Restrict the size of your <div>s. I think what you'll find is that using CSS for layout will take care of this issue. It's not as easy to learn as tables, especially if you've already used tables for layout before, but it's cleaner & more flexible.
    Computer Zen:
    Program aborting
    Close all that you have worked on
    You ask far too much

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your help. The simplest solution I have found is simply to add a dimension into the table tags defining the width as 1024. Now anyone who opens it up on a 800x600 res will just have to scroll. It isn't neat but it works, as I just don't have the time to redesign over 20 pages from scratch!

web address for website is www.wiltshirescouts.org.uk/purtonandlydiard - the problem last time was that the fullstop got included on the end!

Originally posted by smartcard
    Is there any commands that I can use in the PHP script to restrict the result to 800x600?
    Thank you,
    how about a url?

Originally posted by tedstonea
    Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your help. The simplest solution I have found is simply to add a dimension into the table tags defining the width as 1024. Now anyone who opens it up on a 800x600 res will just have to scroll. It isn't neat but it works, as I just don't have the time to redesign over 20 pages from scratch!

web address for website is www.wiltshirescouts.org.uk/purtonandlydiard - the problem last time was that the fullstop got included on the end!
    ted:

change the two table attributes from 'width=980' to 'width=100%'
    the only adjustment needed beyond that might be to reduce the font size of the main header text. its goes to 2 lines when the window is reduced in width. you can keep the page from compressing all the way by making the header text a graphic image of a fixed size....or sticking a spacer gif in there to keep the cell from tightening up all the way. spacer=same color as background color.

Now anyone who opens it up on a 800x600 res will just have to scroll.
    Then you wouldn't get me browsing your site if you are too darn lazy to design it properly. Ditch tables, they are not meant for layout. Use CSS and do the job properly.

Originally posted by gizmo
    Then you wouldn't get me browsing your site if you are too darn lazy to design it properly. Ditch tables, they are not meant for layout. Use CSS and do the job properly.
    yep....that is a half-ass solution i must say.

Unfortunately I don't actually have the time to redesign the entire website - I do it as a favour and have many other interests as well. Okay it may be a "half assed" solution by not many of the visitors have a res of 800x600. It is by no means a professional site. Thanks to those who gave valid ideas though, in the future I might use them.

Thread Information