www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Banning Ip

Banning Ip

Can you stop a certain ip address visiting your website, and if you can how?

Cheers

if($neil=="stuck"){echo("Help!");
    pull_out("hair", $neil);
    $neil=bald;}
    else{echo("What do you want?");}

Server side. You can tell someone to die with java script but not stop them because they can just turn off java script. Actually infact, no ip ban will stop me, all I have to do is browse through a proxy, www.anproxy.com , and boom, I just bruatlized your ip ban system. How about make a login system for the private areas of your site instead of trying to keep people out of a public part of your site, because it is not going to be possible using the user agent, cookies, the ip, or other things, they can always be masked or changed.

If you had a list of IP addresses that are allowed to browse your site, then using a proxy would not allow access.

Neil
    if($neil=="stuck"){echo("Help!");
    pull_out("hair", $neil);
    $neil=bald;}
    else{echo("What do you want?");}

Originally posted by neil9999
    If you had a list of IP addresses that are allowed to browse your site, then using a proxy would not allow access.

Neil
    Then you might as well have a login system if you are going to go through the trouble of finding the ips of everyone you like... then you have to change the list if they have dynamic or persistant ip addresses that will change.

I have a question on this too, though probably "newbie" in my case -- if you have some kind of connection like AOL that's cycling through IPs, how could you block an IP or allow IPs. Also, if you were to restrict acces on a survey or something without using cookies, how could two people from that same ISP vote on something even if it WEREN'T . . . in other words, wouldn't the IPs used by many of these ISPs like AOL, Earthlink, etc., etc., be the same for large blocks of people, not just one person?

Sorry if that's a little basic, I just haven't understood it yet........
    jeanne

Thread Information