dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hopefully A Better Review!!!

Hopefully A Better Review!!!

Hello,

Well, it has been about 3/4 of year or so I guess since my last review... I have totally changed my website, and this time I HAVE a doctype and I know there are probably things I left out but can you take a look and tell me how it looks in different browsers and all?

Id appreciate it!

JDM

The United States Site: http://kellyj.t35.com
    Well you have my vote. I like the site, except for one major problem. Since all of the menu items have a page linked to, the contact me link should also. You could easily create an emailed form or just a link to your address here, but it would just make it all structured equally. Other than that, simple, not too many images, menu good (maybe have bgcolor change also onmouseover in addition, but this is your call)

I liked your idea about a contact page, so I made one. For now it just has the email link but I will later make a form and have it mailed to me by a submit button and some php so the user's mail won't have to pop up...

looks good, the click to get in page should also be on a 5 second redirection, therefore automatically doing the click for you, in my opinion. that way, if users are using more than one browser window, and go to your url, and quickly go to a different window wile loading, the page will redirect to the actual home page without the user being forced to click.

Another good idea... It is set for 5 seconds which gives the user time to read the fact that it will refresh... Anybody else got any suggestions?

the site looks good. i really can't come up with anything more, which is a good sign for you

In a way there isn't much there to the design(not exactly a bad thing) so there's isn't much to reall harp on. I think I just have more personal issues than anything major. I'm not 100% fond of using the white background for the "you are here" menu. Why do you have a id set to auth and then you also have a class of the same name? You should be able to format it how you want without the <span> tag. You don't really need comments in your code about the Doctype and your site being valid. A person can see that when they view your site. I'm not a real big fan of counters. Doesn't your host provide that type of info? Take a look at the Taming Lists link in my sig for a different way of doing your menu. Again, most of these are just personal prefernce, so take it for what it's worth.

Well like sspufi said, not much of a design, not much to look at. www.csszengarden.com compare those to your site , alright alright I know those sites are awesome and the graphics are amazing and it would take any of us a lot of time and effort to make something that awesome, but you might get some layout inspiration there. Its good that your markup is valid, but I like something easy on the eyes too.

Yeah I have already visited csszengarden before... LOL They are amazing... spufi I didn't even realize the double auth thing. I will fix it, and try to make more of a design... I just don't really have any more ummm ideas if you would... I do some websites for my school and for local schools, but see I used tables for the elementary school (the principal wanted to edit the content)...

Now that I am back with divs for layout it's like I'm stuck. I ALWAYS use two columns (menu and content) like mine currently and I have no more ways of doing it... This is the first one I've done where I have no header, and I just placed the logo above the content.

How do you guys get new ideas and come up with color schemes and get all your influences, because I'd like to take web design to the next level and maybe be where you guys are one day... but if I keep running out of ideas now is that a bad sign???

Thanks all!

JDM

zen garden! color schemes, do a google search for color schemes, you will find 20 or so good scheme makers. I just sort of look around and come up with stuff somtimes. For example: This girl I know was talking about how old condemned buildings look cool, I took a picture of one, decided a right align would look good. So I put all the content on the right, the bulding on the left, fixed, and then the menu ont he far right a red background. Then wham I have a new creation. I actually just lied about that, I never finished that layout, but I know exactly what it would look like.

Yeah, I mean sometimes I will get really lucky and one will pop into my head, but even then I have to do it and that is the hard part... It's even been hard lately to get good ideas But if I mess around with photoshop I usually get one here and there... But it takes forever!

Warning: main(location.php): failed open stream
    Bandwidth Limit Exceeded
    The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Apache/1.3.29 Server at www.accessjdm.com Port 80

yeah.. i hosted a 25mb wmv movie for my school off my site.... not even thinking about the bandwidth so it ate it up. it will be back the rest of this month, and i have a new layout already made... i'll reply when i get it back up...

Originally posted by JDM71488
    yeah.. i hosted a 25mb wmv movie for my school off my site.... not even thinking about the bandwidth so it ate it up. it will be back the rest of this month, and i have a new layout already made... i'll reply when i get it back up...
    umm how low does your host cap you.

1000mb per month

Thread Information