www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Do we have too many forum-sections?

Question Do we have too many forum-sections?

The longer time goes the more igored the "on topic" forumsections seems to get.

In CSS section I find HTML and JS questions (and today even an ASP qiuestion...) as least as often as I find CSS questions. Conversly DHTML HTML General etc all are filled with questions that eg have CSS answers.

I'm thinking that the confused newbie looking for answers doesn't really know where he should look/ask, especially if he nice behaved enough not to x-post in 5 forums at once.

IMO, several of the sections are so closely related in real world solutions that I think it's more of a nuicance then helpfull to split them up in several sections (which also seems to generate an awful lot of questions in general).

Perhaps eg HTML, CSS & DHTML should be merged into one (sort of a "basic HTML" section)?
    The pure JS forum I think is specific and high volume enough to keep separated even though it also comes close to this area.
    // Stefan Huszics

hi,
    I agree with you Stefan, users are just posting anywhere, asp in HTML, javascript in css and so on. I have very good ASP but have almost no XML skills, the point is i don't normally look in the XML forum so say someone posts an ASP question in the XML forum then they are potentionaly missing out.
    I agree general is not being used for proper posts and being used more for posts that can easily fit onto more than one of the forums.
    I also agree with the css, HTML and DHTML being in the same forum. I think we should have a sperate JSP and PHP forums.
    Anyway apart from that this forum looks to be a sucess, keep up the good work.
    It is also good to see so many good technically skilled users here to answer all the posts, again well done.
    ----------------------------------

I agree too. The DHTML section I think should definately go when we have a JS and CSS section already.

I wouldn't have thought DHTML with HTML that wouldn't fit since basically it requires addition of JavaScript.

Perhaps CSS with HTML could be married, but on the whole things are in a fairly good state.

No doubt someone will come a long and say XHTML questions are appearing in the HTML section when XHTML is an application of XML, probably why there is no specific XHTML section.

Pete I think there's a small revolution going on .

Originally posted by Robert Wellock
    [B]I wouldn't have thought DHTML with HTML that wouldn't fit since basically it requires addition of JavaScript.
    and usually CSS.
    And with eg :hover you can do a lot of things in CSS alone that most people would belive thaks a big complicated JavaScript to acchive.

Also, as I've already stated, I don't things are in a fairly good state. Far from it, in fact I would estimate that of my replies with a CSS solution 80% happens OUTSIDE ot the CSS forum. This makes it a lot harder for someone visting the site and trying to use the search function to find an answer to a CSS question.
    // Stefan Huszics

No, don't merge too many forums. Maybe DHTML could go with JavaScript, that's kind of logic, but HTML and CSS shouldn't be merged. Forums that have it that way tend to be messy.

Couldn't the topics be 'enforced' instead? We could point out when posts should go in another forum and mods could move the threads when necessary.
    YUPAPA Webhosting ~~~
    Support
    meow at yupapa dot com
    http://yupapa.com

Yeah I think that's about the best idea - get rid of DHTML and make some of the regulars moderators or something.

Thread Information