www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Is it possible for site to read or write to (other than cookies) users' computers?

Is it possible for site to read or write to (other than cookies) users' computers?

Is it possible for site to read or write to (other than cookies) users' computers?

1. placing a file, not damaging, on harddrive when cookie is disabled, to determine whether repeat visitor.

OR

2. reading contents of user's home directory in 'my documents'

Re: Is it possible for site to read or write to (other than cookies) users' computers?

Originally posted by brarydon

1. placing a file, not damaging, on harddrive when cookie is disabled, to determine whether repeat visitor.

OR

http://www.somethingawful.com/mjolni...0-18-03_81.gif
    I wanted to meet interesting and stimulating people of an ancient culture...

Strategic Internet Services, LLC • www.gostrategic.com

Something about a site named "somethingawful" that makes me hesistate. What is this link?

Re: Is it possible for site to read or write to (other than cookies) users' computer

Originally posted by brarydon

OR

Lets hope not!

ps.
    no its not possible
    (unless you are using an insecure browser- such as internet explorer, or the microsoft java virtual machine, then i'd have my worries)
    Last edited by The Cheat; 04-05-2004 at 02:45 PM.

It is technically possible to embed a small trojan program inside an image which is downloaded by the web browser. This would need to be pretty small to avoid detection, but I guess it is possible. How it would be activated is a technical issue.

However, not only is it unethical, it is very very wrong to put something onto somebody's computer without their knowledge or permission.

The best way to accomplish what you need is to be honest with your visitor and ask them to download a small application from your website or enable cookies.

But anyone who would want to browse the contents of someone else's my documents folder would make me run 1000 miles away from their site or any linked sites and clear my history cache, run antivirus and trojan sniffers and generally spring clean my system damned fast!!!!
    Cheers

Dataferret

Thread Information