www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you use PHP to get the address of the current file?

How do you use PHP to get the address of the current file?

How do you use PHP to get the address of the current file?
    Windows XP SP2 - theme: Thallos
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ | ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe | 2 * 1024 PC2-6400 Mushkin DDR2-800 | eVGA GeForce 6800XT 256MB | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Music
    5 * 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 3Gb/s in RAID 5 | Lite-On 16x DVD-RW | Mitsumi 7-in-1 Floppy drive and card reader
    Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20" TFT LCD | Logitech G15 Keyboard | Logitech G7 Mouse | Seasonic PC160SK Headset

Many ways, my friend, though it rather depends what you mean by 'address'. There's plenty of inbuilt variables you may wish to inspect:

PHP Code:
    $_SERVER['PHP_SELF'];
    $_SERVER['PATH_TRANSLATED'];
    $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']; 
    here's the relevant manpage

http://uk.php.net/reserved.variables

Okay, is there one that gives the document root - not $_SERVER["DOCUMENT_ROOT"] - without the script name?
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

getcwd() doesn't do that?

Is there any way to get the current URL?
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Never shall the sun kiss my face
    And caress me with it's burning light
    For I dwell in the shadows
    And sleep side by side with death

Originally posted by Paul Jr
    Is there any way to get the current URL?
    I think it's $_SERVER["SCRIPT_NAME"].

yeah thats

PHP Code:
    $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']; 
    i think i mentioned that

What I want to do is set a variable as the url of the current page, then carry that value from one page to another and make a link to that varible by using:
    PHP Code:
    print("<a href='$theurl'>Some text</a>"); 
    -Dan
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ | ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe | 2 * 1024 PC2-6400 Mushkin DDR2-800 | eVGA GeForce 6800XT 256MB | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Music
    5 * 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 3Gb/s in RAID 5 | Lite-On 16x DVD-RW | Mitsumi 7-in-1 Floppy drive and card reader
    Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20" TFT LCD | Logitech G15 Keyboard | Logitech G7 Mouse | Seasonic PC160SK Headset

Originally posted by samij586
    getcwd() doesn't do that?
    Kind of, but not exactly what I was looking for. Some manipulation, but I guess that's one way you could do it.

Originally posted by DanieLTomaS
    What I want to do is set a variable as the url of the current page, then carry that value from one page to another and make a link to that varible by using...
    I have a habit of using sessions.

Originally posted by Jona
    I have a habit of using sessions.
    How do I do this? I am developing a comment script for my site, and this is the last thing I need, so I really need to know!
    -Dan

Originally posted by shimon
    PHP Code:
    $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']; 
    You didn't quote anyone, but if you were talkin' to me, that variable changes depending on the page requested - my purposes would need something that never changes.

Originally posted by DanieLTomaS
    How do I do this? I am developing a comment script for my site, and this is the last thing I need, so I really need to know!
    Well if you only need it once, then you could use $_GET variables - might be easier.

Originally posted by Jona
    Well if you only need it once, then you could use $_GET variables - might be easier.
    Ok, so is that something like this?
    The main page(which will go to the next page when the form is submitted):
    PHP Code:
    $theurl 
    $_SERVER['REQUEST_URI']; 
    The page I have the link on:
    PHP Code:
    $theurl $_GET['theurl'];
    print(
    "<a href='$theurl'>Some Text</a> 
    Or wait a minute. Since I'm using a form on the first page, would it be better just to store the url in a hidden input element, and use $_REQUEST['hiddenelement'] ?

You didn't quote anyone
    Hmm now I understand that post count

But, no - I was taking to the guy who originally asked the question. The idea of the 'address' was vague and so I made a couple of suggestions and then pointed him towards the manual. I'm not sure where sessions come into it, unless you pass session IDs through the query string...and I'm pretty sure you wouldn't do that

Thread Information