www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Best ways to educate clients on standards compliant design

You shouldnt have to.. The majority of clients arent interested in the technical side of design and development. However, i suppose you could demonstrate the differences between a standards-complient web site apposed to a non-standard web site.

You could also forward the client a copy of the latest release of the web standards documents.

Regards,
    Andrew Buntine,

I think the question more or less runs along the lines of, "How do you make the client aware of the capabilities and limitations of the web?"

Although the client may not "care to know", the sad truth of the matter is that web pages are not "print" and as soon as they understand that, the less time you will spend arguing about "why the font wraps that way."

My constant battle with sites is layout. The clients want to fight with me about how text wraps and font sizes. I tell them all, "We cannot guarantee that a page will look and function exactly the same in every web browser under every resolution, on every operating system, and using all of the colors they want."

If they have a requirement for (God forbid) Ns4, we add 30% to our cost and explain to them why.

If you havent' read this, don't hesitate:

http://www.wilk4.com/humor/humorm291.htm
    Last edited by crh3675; 04-19-2004 at 02:46 PM.
    Bittersweet web development.

Originally posted by crh3675
    I think the question more or less runs along the lines of, "How do you make the client aware of the capabilities and limitations of the web?"
    Yes, that would be a better way of putting it. I don't want to bother people with the "geeky" side of design, but to highlight the additional features that can be incorporated into a Web site because standards are used properly.

I like to breeze over the main points, like keeping text sizes resizable in IE (lousy IE ) and automatically formatting pages for printing. I also say that they are easier to read for screen readers and style sheets can automatically format the pages for handheld devices.

I tell them it's like getting three Web sites for the price of one: A printable version, an on-screen version, and a handheld version (though I don't know of any complying devices yet). Each is more accessible to those with disabilities, which is good PR for your company and maybe even an untapped market.

People with moderate to severe vision problems have lower rates of Web usage, not because they don't want to, but because much of the Web is inaccessible or too hard for them to read.

And companies like untapped markets

If people have questions about how this is done, then I'll get into the more geeky stuff, like source-ordered columns, title attributes in form input elements to aid screen readers, etc. I will then explain that CSS layouts separate the design from the content. If the company changes images, only a handfull of style sheets must be edited, not dozens (if not hundreds) of Web documents.

that is very good!
    More of a journal than a blog.

Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
    GMail | Mezzoblue | 1976 Design | Zeldman | Justwatchthesky | Jon Hicks | Airbag | All In The Head

Thread Information