www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Mozilla 1.6 or Firefox 0.8?

Mozilla 1.6 or Firefox 0.8?

For someone who is new to Moz, which browser is the better of the two?

I am aware that FF is only Technology Preview and is suggested not to be used for "critical tasks." And though I am considering replacing IE with Moz, if I find I like it, I'm more concerned about web development. In other words testing.

I've found several threads discussing IE vs Moz, but nothing that actually gives the pros and cons of Moz vs. FireFox. And yes, I am aware tha FireFox is Moz, but what sets these two apart?

The primary difference between the two is the fact that Firefox is only the browser, where Mozilla as the "application suite" meaning it consits of other Mozilla products along with it (e.g., mail, composer, extra debugging tools, etc.). I would recommend checking out Firefox if you're a new Mozilla user simply because of the fact that it's only the browser.

In otherwords FF 0.8 is just a slimmed down version of Moz 1.6? Both will render the same page exactly the same? Why wouldn't I want to use this "application suite" if I'm a web author?

What do they intend for FF 1.0? Or is it just a more bug free/render friendly version of 0.8?

Originally posted by tonyh
    In otherwords FF 0.8 is just a slimmed down version of Moz 1.6?
    I suppose you could say that. Firefox has a smaller memory footprint hence somewhat faster. I believe Firefox is only the Mozilla browser, however, optimized in several areas and only the browser. It also has a couple cool features I haven't previously seen in Mozilla (e.g., the "open in tabs" option).
    Both will render the same page exactly the same?
    Most if not every time, yes. It, obviously, depends on what version of Mozilla you're using as opposed to what version of Firefox. Though, you can — for the most part — safely assume however it looks in the latest Firefox is how it looks in the latest Mozilla. This is because they both run on the same rendering engine: Gecko.
    Why wouldn't I want to use this "application suite" if I'm a web author?
    Don't get me wrong — you might — however, in general, you'd only need the browser should you want to test things under Mozilla. Though, if you're doing extensive work with JavaScript you might consider checking out Venkman which is Mozilla's very own JavaScript debugger. In most cases, though, Firefox should be enough, and, moreover, you can get things that are featured in Mozilla in Firefox as well (e.g., Venkman as an extension, and instead of using Mozilla's own Mail, use Thunderbird).
    What do they intend for FF 1.0? Or is it just a more bug free/render friendly version of 0.8?
    I suppose it's going to be an even more heavily optimized version of Mozilla, but only time will tell.
    Last edited by fredmv; 04-19-2004 at 10:40 PM.

Okay, I just installed FF 0.8, actually I'm using it right now, and have noticed a "page cannot be found" in the upper right corner of this forum. Is this common? I don't mind seeing advertisements on pages because this is easily ignored, but is this an effect of the anti-pop up features?

Oh and how do I chnage the length of the address and google fields? I've pretty much got the rest of the toolbars set up the way I prefer them, although I find that not being able to link the bookmarked sites as a drop down like in IE a bit of a bummer. As I really don't care for sidebars, they remind me too much of frames .

Edit: Okay, so using the favourites toolbar I've been able to create something like what I prefer in IE. I'm still a little disappointed that I can't resize/reposition the toolbars though. I'm actually thinking of trying the tabbed windows, for as long as it doesn't add anymore toolbars, three is almost too much as is.
    Last edited by tonyh; 04-19-2004 at 06:49 PM.

mozilla vs.IE

now I know why I don't like the sidebars!! they remind me of framestoo!

anyway, FF can be optioned much better (using Extensions) then IE for a web person, & tabbed browsing rocks! I'll never go without it again. It renders fast(and this page is displaying without problem (as most do ;-) in FF 0.8. Even though it is an early releasee, FF is still pretty reliable,alhtough not as solid as Communicatior, Opera or IE. By the final 1.0 release, that problem should be cleaned up. You might wanna check out the tabbed browsing Extensions at Mozilla for better Tab features.

Good Luck :-)
    http://home.comcast.net/~larzman/

Thread Information