www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: go ahead. critique me

go ahead. critique me

Hey, I've got a web design site up and running. It's been going for a few weeks and I'd like to see what people thought. The address is http://www.rocketdogmedia.tk, so tell me what you think. Goods, bads, uglies, let me know what yout think. Thanks.
    Last edited by steven; 02-28-2003 at 07:25 PM.

TERRIBLE! You are going to need to work on it ALOT more. The colors are bad, the design is bad, everything is awful!! Just kidding!!! It looks pretty good. I don't know what to suggest.

you scared me there for a second.

yes very pretty. My only suggestion that you have a look at some of the posts in the CSS board and try to use that to get around using tables for layout - not only is it the suggested way, but it makes it a heck of a lot easier to code.

Here's a quote I've stolen from Charles, but I hope he doesn't mind!
    From the HTML 4.01 Specification (http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/struct/tables.html#h-11.1):
    Tables should not be used purely as a means to layout document content as this may present problems when rendering to non-visual media. Additionally, when used with graphics, these tables may force users to scroll horizontally to view a table designed on a system with a larger display. To minimize these problems, authors should use style sheets to control layout rather than tables.
    John

Why do all your links open a new browser window? If I want to do that, I'll do it myself.

I agree the output looks VERY professional Nice and neat something I would like to strive for...

However The new window issue has bothered me from sometime...So basically if you are too lazy to create a decent way to navigate then leave the new window but Great navigation defeats the need for it
    Thank you very much for your help!!!!

Yeah its great, but what about cruelty to animals and all that?
    In a world without walls and fences - who needs Windows and Gates?! - Unknown Author
    "And there's Bill Gates, the...most...famous...man in the...ah...Microsoft." -- A TV commentator for the 2000 Olympics.

Web Design Faq? | W3C | Validator | Accessibility testing | Speed up your PC | Wura | Box Model Research

new window

Why do all your links open a new browser window? If I want to do that, I'll do it myself.
    the portfolio sites should open in a new window. that way people can browse through the sites ive made w/o leaving my site itself. that way when there done w/ the portfolio site, mine will still be there, and if they wish they can continue looking at it.

if the navigation opens in a new window, which it doesn't on my computer, then i just messed up.

I can't distinguish between text and links within your iframe. You may want to use a different color or underline the links. Avoid use of "Click here to visit their current site". Instead use "Meanwhile, you may visit their current site.

Your page consists of a frame containing a single html page, which in turn contains an iframe. Is there a need to use the main frame?

There is some error in one of your javascripts. I didnt investigate where... just saw the error message on my browser.

I see your point regarding portfolio pages opening in a new browser window. Personally, I dont like people opening new browser windows on my page. My philosophy is "Its my desktop, for crying out loud, so dont clutter it please"... well thats just me.

I couldn't get the site up - got the infamous "page cannot be displayed.."

There's an error in the link - delete the comma and it should load. http://www.rocketdogmedia.tk Try this link instead.

Dave
    In a world without walls and fences - who needs Windows and Gates?! - Unknown Author
    "And there's Bill Gates, the...most...famous...man in the...ah...Microsoft." -- A TV commentator for the 2000 Olympics.

Web Design Faq? | W3C | Validator | Accessibility testing | Speed up your PC | Wura | Box Model Research

thanks for all of your input people. and i fixed the link

You do need a lot more work on it!

On the logo:

You need to think about what it is the logo has to visualise: now it's just typography and a somewhat lonely dog with a rocket, on the side... it has to be more than just a funny name! it has to be something the visitor will remember - simplicity is the key to that!

Then redesign the site in that new style...

On the layout/coloring:

You need more contrast! The different elements on the page (Portfolio, Menu, About) all look alike. For instance: the portfolio is probably the most important element on the page - then give it a different background so it will attract the eye faster.

Rollovers and links should be directly recognisable as such.

Use more color! It will make the whole look more distinguishable and simply less grey!
    http://www.casparclaasen.com

looks good

nkaisare, the main frame is there so
    steven can use an easier URL for his site.

Define your iframe links in your style tag this way.

iframe a:link { code... }
    iframe a:hover { code... }

Etc...

Just change them so people know links are links and text is text.

The iframe area lays slightly on top of the darker area above it for me, and I'm using Netscape 7. Also, you have "RD" in your banner image, but it's so faded it's tough to see. I had to angle my laptop to a non-normal view point to really see it.

Thread Information