www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Review my site

Review my site Please

I know it needs plenty of work but id appreciate it if you could tell me some things i could do.

http://complexfellow.com/
    Last edited by Conor; 05-09-2004 at 09:27 AM.

is there anyway to get it to appear correctly in IE? Fixed link just realized it was wroing

Also how come my list image only works in opera nd not mozlla, IE,safari etc...
    Last edited by Conor; 05-01-2004 at 09:53 AM.

pretty good....yeah u need to fix the ie thing

it now displays correctly in IE

Although very simple, I think you did a pretty good job.

I take it you're not a professional graphics designer, though.

When I put my mouse over a link on the page, for example "Add/view comments," the text color seems to be too light and makes it difficult to read. I know that you'll be reading it before you put your mouse over it, in most cases, but I think it'd be a good idea to make it just a tad darker.
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

Although very simple, I think you did a pretty good job.
    thank you

I take it you're not a professional graphics designer, though.

lol Im terrible with graphics

When I put my mouse over a link on the page, for example "Add/view comments," the text color seems to be too light and makes it difficult to read. I know that you'll be reading it before you put your mouse over it, in most cases, but I think it'd be a good idea to make it just a tad darker.

Yeah that definatley needs to be changed ill do it once i get a chance. Thanks for the feedback and for helping with the actual PHP coding a while back.

Also, check out Bobby, because he mentions a few things. When I disable stylesheets, I can't see the logo graphic, because it's a background; use something like <span style="display: none;">The personal site of Conor Hastings</span> on top of your background image, so that without CSS the heading can still be seen. (In fact, you should use <h1> instead of <span> for that, as it is a heading.) You may also consider using the LONGDESC attribute in your footer images, to tell about what PHP is, and so on and so forth. It may be a good idea to say, "Add/view comments to entry number n," where n equals the current entry ID. Bobby says it's bad to use two links that have the same description, yet go to different addresses. I'm getting a little nit-picky here, though, I think you could figure out any other problems and try to see if you can convince Bobby to make you valid AA.

yeah thanks for all the tips you have been a huge help! I will definately work to make myself more accessible

*Bows*

Lol... about your site, on an article you mention converting HTML 4.01 -> XHTML 1.1. For your answer, no, it won't be hard. All there is to be done is to change your doctype, and since it was already valid HTML strict, all you have to do is close empty tags (<br />, <meta />, <hr />).. and thats pretty much it for you.
    Last edited by Ben Rogers; 05-01-2004 at 05:22 PM.

^^and that would be easy since most of my stuff is manipulated server side so it only be editing a few output variables. anyway what do you think of the site?

Originally posted by omega
    <b />
    The B tag has no significance that way. Maybe you meant <br />?

Originally posted by Jona
    When I disable stylesheets, I can't see the logo graphic, because it's a background; use something like <span style="display: none;">The personal site of Conor Hastings</span> on top of your background image
    Actually, that still wouldn't show the text if stylesheets were disabled. Wouldn't you have to use something like this?

CSS (in a stylesheet, not on the page):
    Code:
    span.title {
    display: none;
    }
    HTML:
    Code:
    <span class="title">The personal site of Conor Hastings</span>
    And I think your site looks very nice, Conor. Although a little simple, it is very easy on the eyes. I take it you like green

From http://conor-hastings.firewebx.com/sites.php
    Sites Worth Visiting

* Spymac
    * Ryan Brill
    * Mezzoblue
    * CSS Zen Garden
    * Daniel Tomasiewicz
    I'm flattered, I truly am
    -Dan
    Windows XP SP2 - theme: Thallos
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ | ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe | 2 * 1024 PC2-6400 Mushkin DDR2-800 | eVGA GeForce 6800XT 256MB | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Music
    5 * 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 3Gb/s in RAID 5 | Lite-On 16x DVD-RW | Mitsumi 7-in-1 Floppy drive and card reader
    Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20" TFT LCD | Logitech G15 Keyboard | Logitech G7 Mouse | Seasonic PC160SK Headset

Originally posted by DanieLTomaS
    Actually, that still wouldn't show the text if stylesheets were disabled.
    Agree with me!
    If a user has CSS disabled, he'll see it, but if you disable the stylesheet, you're right it won't be seen. Sorry 'bout that. Wasn't thinking... must clear head...

Yes, that is what I meant, it was a typo.

As for your site, I think a few things could be done to improve the look, but the colors give it a unique look, and I can't complain about the layout .

The navigation could be centered, maybe the text for the headers could be darker, as well as the a:hover's, I would also suggest maybe simply using text for the header, not an image at all, and also coming up with a motto. And, even though you may not be good with graphics, even one or two simple graphics could help the look of a site.

Anyways, attached is (bad) example of a header I whipped up, to give you an idea of a possible header. The background image was gotten off a google search, and the image itself is from Claymera
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thread Information