www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: javax.comm serial communications

javax.comm serial communications

Hey, im in the process of writing a series of programs which will interact with my website and then at a lower level read and write from my computers serial port. The java program which im attempting at the moment will be communicating with the serial port with the only two lines being used to transmit and receive the 8 bits of the byte. The data transmitting host i'll be using is a Rs232 and the device connected on this line has a baud rate of 2400. From searching around i've decided that the javax.comm package is the most suited for the job and was wondering if anyone knew of any good examples which show the general layout of a program with this package implemented? Any decent sites which might help me would also be much appreciated.

I havent had any programming experience with the package in question, though; i have done some research into it. Its only a new addition to the Java language, version 1.4 to be precise.
    Your Input/Output requirements will be easily accomplished, also as the javax.comm API has support for IO via a subclass of the ever-popular Java IO Streams.

I found the following article which may be helpful: http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/j...5-javadev.html

By the way, please post all Java related questions in the 'Scripting - Other' forum.

Regards,
    Andrew Buntine.

I must admit, i wasnt too certain as to where i should post it! Thanks for taking the time out to help, that site looks to be quite useful! ...Should keep me occupied tonight!

Well i've read through the site and it certainly enlightened me as to what the package can provide but im still rather stuck! I know this is asking a lot and down right cheeky, but if anyone has the time could someone please show me the basic layout of the kind of program that i'd need? By degree im an electronic and electrical engineer and even though i have experience with java programming this seems well beyond my scope. I've been trying to figure it out for a long time now and even though i've been studying its methods and fields on the java.sun site, i just cant seem to grasp how im meant to put it all together.

Thanks in advance,
    Alex
    Last edited by moose; 05-01-2004 at 08:37 PM.

Thread Information