www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: big fonts in IE 5.5

Warning: main(location.php): failed open stream

big fonts in IE 5.5

on one of my current sites which im working on click here to see I have this problem when viewing in IE 5.5, the font sizes for the FrontPage InnerDoc Componets are all in big writing, but when viewed on IE 6.0 the fonts return to there normal size(8pt), ive tested the page in K-Meleon and it seems to be displaying the site normally.
    Can any body help me so that users in IE 5.5 can see the site in 8pt.

P.S. the reason why its in accessibility, is because people who use win95 can only use up to ie5.5 and i want them to have the site viewable correctly
    fabioDRN.com

Whoa! Have you checked your site in Mozilla? I think you may have a more dramatic problem there.

Use pixel sizing (px) instead of point sizing (pt) when difining font sizes in CSS. That should fix your problems.

Regards,
    Andrew Buntine.

mozilla's goin to be another head ache for me, but at least in mozilla the css displays correctly
    fabioDRN.com

Originally posted by buntine
    <snip />

Use pixel sizing (px) instead of point sizing (pt) when difining font sizes in CSS. That should fix your problems.

Regards,
    Andrew Buntine.
    Bad advice.
    Pixel sizing of fonts not only disregards user preference, but makes it impossible for IE users to adjust it.

pt units are for print media and should be used with print stylesheets.
    For screen use relative units - ems, so that your page is scaled to the user preferred font size.
    Vladdy

Working web site is not the one that looks the same in a few graphical browsers, but the one that adequately delivers its content to any device accessing it.

Vladdy knows more about accessability than me. So take his advice.

Pixels ARE Relative Units the fault lies with a certain bug-ridden browser that cannot render CSS correctly hence confuses the general population into thinking em is the ideal solution.

Originally posted by Robert Wellock
    Pixels ARE Relative Units the fault lies with a certain bug-ridden browser that cannot render CSS correctly hence confuses the general population into thinking em is the ideal solution.
    So you would suggest defining font sizes in pixels, and not ems?
    Thousand different paths
    So many sterile ends
    I chose the Devil's path

Never shall the sun kiss my face
    And caress me with it's burning light
    For I dwell in the shadows
    And sleep side by side with death

I tend to keep out of the font-size debates. Percentages are the other option what I was highlighting is M$ Explorer is at fault and not the Pixel, why ex units are just as valid as em but probably not as useful to the designer.

Getting back to the original question, I've had times when I needed to specify a font size of 1em for IE5.x/PC to get it to size the font correctly. Examples are when text is sized smaller using CSS in a wrapper DIV, but then text inside a table, inside the wrapper DIV, is too large. Applying font-size: 1em to the table tag forces IE to size it correctly.

I've even had the same issue with the H4 tag sometimes. Some sample code is below:
    Code:
    #wrapper { font-size: .8em; }

#wrapper table { font-size: 1em; }
    -->
    </style>
    <div id="wrapper">
     <table><tr><td>
      Data table with correctly sized text
     </td></tr></table>
    </div>

Whoa! Have you checked your site in Mozilla? I think you may have a more dramatic problem there.
    i finally got rid of using frontpage, and now the pages displays correctly in both ie and mozilla
    fabioDRN.com

Thread Information