www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Google knows best?

Google knows best?

Hi,

Take a look at the Google Homepage. Go View>Source and you'll see that tables are being used for positioning (there's more on search results!)! It seems that using CSS instead is the 'trend' on these forums, and the <table> tag is useless for positioning. But surely doesn't google know how to make a webpage?

Neil
    if($neil=="stuck"){echo("Help!");
    pull_out("hair", $neil);
    $neil=bald;}
    else{echo("What do you want?");}

You will find that about 95% of Web Sites you encounter will use tables for layout. (rough estimate)

The reality is, only personal sites and CSS-related sites are coded without the use of tables. Most designers will laugh when people tell them that using tables is wrong. However, im not saying that they are right.

There is nothing wrong with using tables and for a long time they have been the standard. Though, supposedly things are changing.

Regards.

EDIT: Dont get angry at me. I have heard everyones opinion about the <table> element.
    Last edited by buntine; 05-03-2004 at 09:31 AM.

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    Originally posted by buntine
    You will find that about 95% of Web Sites you encounter will use tables for layout. (rough estimate)

The reality is, only personal sites and CSS-related sites are coded without the use of tables.
    i know i sure don't use tables on my site. then again, i don't really have much of a layout for my page...
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

Alot of the people on this forum will use CSS, table-less layouts for the web sites. And i think thats good -- you guys are doing what everyone else may be doing in the future.

But, its a fact that only a very small percentage of web sites actually conform to the standards outlined at W3C.

Because of this, i think the standards will be dramatically changed sometime in the near future.

Regards,
    Andrew Buntine.

Originally posted by buntine
    But, its a fact that only a very small percentage of web sites actually conform to the standards outlined at W3C.
    Google is one of the most popular sites on the net, surely they should keep to the latest standards? If they use tables, surely they're acceptable?

Neil
    if($neil=="stuck"){echo("Help!");
    pull_out("hair", $neil);
    $neil=bald;}
    else{echo("What do you want?");}

China is the most populous country on earth. Does this mean that communism/torture/censorship/etc. should be considered acceptable?

Disclaimer: The above wasn't an opinion on the use of tables for layout nor Google itself.

Many companies don't want to convert their existing layouts to CSS/table-less because of one principle: If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Tables work. Maybe not as well as a CSS-driven layout, but they work and they are time-tested.

Google's site wouldn't benefit much from switching to CSS layout. CSS layout improves download speed and can increase search engine rankings. But Google probably doesn't care much about their search engine rankings, and their pages have very little content, so speeding up download time isn't an issue.

If you want an example of a high traffic, modern website that doesn't use tables, look at ESPN.com. They've jumped on the CSS bandwagon, and even offer an alternate page to crappy browsers (NN4, IE4) explaining to them why they can't view ESPN.com with their browser, and offering links to upgrade or download a different browser. I recommend viewing their site in NN4. I wish all sites did this.

Its good to see that ESPN have followed the times. Mayby they will inspire some other high-traffic web sites.

Regards.

There are actually a few big sites that use CSS for layout. Take a look at this:

http://www.ryanbrill.com/archives/css_gone_mainstream/

Personal website http://www.ryanbrill.com/
    Business website: http://www.infinitywebdesign.com/
    TypeSpace http://www.typespace.org/

I reject your reality and substitute it with my own!

Thread Information