www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Thanks

A Thanks

Well, I may be wrong but this seemed like the best forum to put this, If I am wrong, admins, please move me...

Okay, so basically, I just want to extend a thanks to everyone on these message boards. Especially as of late I have been using the forums a lot and thought that you all deserve a thanks. God knows I would not know nearly as much as I now do, for instance:

Without This Forum, I Would:
    • I would be using tables for all my layouts. CSS? I simply groaned about it being something else to learn, but thanks to you all, I now know a lot better. :-D
    • I would be a heavy user of JavaScript. Now JavaScript programmers, DON'T GET MAD! I mean no offense, but when learning JavaScript I thought it was THE web tool and that I should use it on every site. Now I know not to rely soley on client-side scripting.
    • I would never have thought twice about making my websites viewable in multiple browsers. Before, I simply made HTML, checked IE, if it looked good then I kept it! Before these forums, I had never heard of the W3C. Now I know a lot better than that...
    • I would still be using *duh, duh, DUH!* Internet Explorer as my main browser. Whew, but thank god I have Mozilla now... I make sure to use Internet Explorer only for test viewings for cross-broswer viewability.
    • I would never have decided to learn PHP! Now I know I'm a long, long way off from being a PHP "scriptor" but I have created functional scripts, something I would never have attempted without you guys!
    • I would still be a Micro$oft lover! Now, I'm not a "Microsoft hater, 1st class" like some of you... but I am a lot more critical of some of their programs now that I know how to actually use computers.

So, like I said before, "Thank you, everyone!" I feel, mostly because of all of you, that I can finally call myself a "Webmaster" - though I'm a huge way off from mastering the web.

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    i would say thank you, but i would have to agree instead. thanks, all, for putting up with my crap and showing me the light....

(screw you, IE!)
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

Well, I've put a lot of hours into these forums, trying to help people out, but I admit I've had questions -- and still do sometimes -- that I couldn't have answered on my own. Not without extensive research; so while I'm thankful for this forum, I'm too proud to admit that I couldn't have figured some things out without the wonderful people here.
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

It all pays off when we are reassured that people are genuinely thankful for the help they receive.

We all have questions from time to time. Somebody always has an answer.

Though, dont go hatin' Microsoft too much. They arent that bad...

Regards,
    Andrew Buntine.

people seem to forget that linux is a pain in the ass for day to day use, it is simply not practical. Also people seem to forget that microsoft has visualstudio, visualstudio.net, sql server, and a ton of other high end high quality products. But they always reacall every bug in the windows os, even if it is promptly patched. The reason worms can spread so rampantly is not because of windows security, but because of the user's ignorance.

Its because MS is a super-power..

When something goes wrong is MS Word, IE6, etc, people say "Ahh, i hate MS. Nothing ever works!". But when Mozilla or OpenOffice crashes, they say "Damn, Windows must have caused that" or "I wonder what i did wrong".

Regards.

Take it from the ASP guys *glares at Peo and Buntine* . Don't hate Micro$oft... they're awesome, they just have moral issues!
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

Originally posted by PeOfEo
    But they always reacall every bug in the windows os, even if it is promptly patched. The reason worms can spread so rampantly is not because of windows security, but because of the user's ignorance.
    since M$ is such a SUPERGIANT in the computing world, windows especially, most worms that are programmed are programmed to attack the windows community. releasing a linux worm into the world would be like releasing a flesh-eating virus that only attacks people that know more than 7 people named strom : it's not very logical. if you want to be recognized in the virus writing world, you have to either write the virus from hell or get the virus to a lot of people. most of the people in the world use windows, so most viruses are once again shot as windoze.
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

I am by no means saying I loathe Micro$oft, far from it. (Nor did I intend to start another M$ argument.) I simply meant that before-hand I would rely soley on Internet Explorer, say "oh well!" to people using other browsers, and always scoff at other browsers saying "IE has to be the best!" But now I have realized to be a bit more critical of Microsoft products and not soley latch onto them and think that they are a Godsend simply because they are made by M$.

Case and Point: MS Word. Many people use it, and it is a good program, great for people who aren't very much into computers. But for me, it is slow, clunky, graphics heavy... I prefer the streamline elegance of WordPerfect. Or Mozilla. But I still use Microsoft ME as a PC OS, and will probably always stick to M$ OS's. So yes, I'm taking both sides,

Your using ME! HA. There is your problem. Its time for an upgrade! If you want something that is not graphics intensive and fast boy do I have the os for you
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...DisplayLang=en

Jona, microsoft is a business like any other, look back in thee 70s and 80s there were tons of hostile corperate takeovers when the computer boom started up and into the .com era. Ms was not the only one gobbleing up smaller competators, horizontal integration. But microsoft is by no means a monopoly either, it is monopolistic competition, which means they have some price control but not absolute like a monopoly and are still in price competion. If they jacked their price up to 1,000,000 for their os, we would see two things happen, a business migration from windows to suse, and an increase in piracy for copies of windows for home pcs. That would be until linux became the #1 title, the windows would be gone. So microsoft is not a pure monopoly (or even a monopoly at all I say) because they still have competition. I am using the definations straight out of the ap micro economics class I am taking this semester. My teacher likes to use ms as an example a whole lot and gave us a big long explantation of how calling ms a monopoly is a false statement, so on and so fourth.

i am dieing to try out linux mandrake

I just need an extra pc cause i dont want to mess with hard drive partitions and all that confusing stuff

Without This Forum, I Would:
    Still be designing the original crap websites I used to design.
    -Dan
    Windows XP SP2 - theme: Thallos
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ | ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe | 2 * 1024 PC2-6400 Mushkin DDR2-800 | eVGA GeForce 6800XT 256MB | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Music
    5 * 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 3Gb/s in RAID 5 | Lite-On 16x DVD-RW | Mitsumi 7-in-1 Floppy drive and card reader
    Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20" TFT LCD | Logitech G15 Keyboard | Logitech G7 Mouse | Seasonic PC160SK Headset

Originally posted by The Cheat
    i am dieing to try out linux mandrake

I just need an extra pc cause i dont want to mess with hard drive partitions and all that confusing stuff
    mandrake sucks compared to suse.
    http://www.suse.com/us/
    novell all the way. If I had to use linux, I would pick that vers.

Originally posted by DanieLTomaS
    -Dan
    i hate to say it, but that reminded me of a good old thread...

Originally posted by DanieLTomaS
    -Dan
    I am way to embarrased to post any of my originals here. They are so pitiful, on angelfire, red an black, lack of a doc type, ugly scroll bars, nested tables, background music, they are stereotipical crap. HOLY CRAP THAT SITE IS INDEXED, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! My poll that has been up for like 3 years after I abandoned that sack of crap has like 400 votes lol.
    Last edited by PeOfEo; 05-06-2004 at 10:56 PM.

Thread Information