dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Help with video on my site

Help with video on my site

Hi guys,

I made this page:

http://www.playerexposure.com/rturner/video.htm

The problem is that a lot of visitors can't view the videos. I want to make it much more compatible with different operating systems. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Id stream it as an mpeg. Use quick time, and actually do a media stream. Most everyone has quicktime, or if they don't it is free. The same cannot be said about media player or real, media player is a windows thing, you wont catch a linux or mac user with it, and real is just garbage, real is gay and it is the only player that can open its formats. Plus even if you manage to get real player for free it will spam you with little popup ads whenever you start or end the player because it is just one big hunk of spyware. Real media sucks and can be lumped with geocities in that quote in my sig.

Originally posted by PeOfEo
    The same cannot be said about media player or real, media player is a windows thing, you wont catch a linux or mac user with it, and real is just garbage, real is gay and it is the only player that can open its formats. Plus even if you manage to get real player for free it will spam you with little popup ads whenever you start or end the player because it is just one big hunk of spyware. Real media sucks and can be lumped with geocities in that quote in my sig.
    real player has windows, mac, and linux versions

If you download the free version, not the plus version with the trial, it wont bug you to to pay.

i have never heard of little popup ads whenever you start or end, then again, i have never used the trial version

if you download the 'if you download the free version of the real-enterprise version' it doesn't put any extra junk on your puter. However, it does put one startup registry entry in your registry for a file that automaticly checks for updates, but you can delete it and it wont ever come back. (quicktime does this too.)

overall, i think the main problem is that their website makes it very difficult to find stuff.

i myself dont care for realplayer much, but you are really blowing it out of proportion.

Originally posted by The Cheat
    real player has windows, mac, and linux versions

If you download the free version, not the plus version with the trial, it wont bug you to to pay.

i have never heard of little popup ads whenever you start or end, then again, i have never used the trial version

if you download the 'if you download the free version of the real-enterprise version' it doesn't put any extra junk on your puter. However, it does put one startup registry entry in your registry for a file that automaticly checks for updates, but you can delete it and it wont ever come back. (quicktime does this too.)

overall, i think the main problem is that their website makes it very difficult to find stuff.

i myself dont care for realplayer much, but you are really blowing it out of proportion.
    I do not have the trial, I have the free version. But I get that little "message center" popup, real has new offers for you! Real media utterly sucks, you can only use real to play those forumats, and shoot I do not even know what program you would use to encode them to begin with and edit them. Quicktime runs on it all, and generally uses the quicktime mpeg format which is already the most popular format around. Quicktime is > then real by far.

the enterprise does not have the message center or any extra clutter. I know that the msg center can be disabled though because had the basic free player for a while...

the encoder is found here http://www.realnetworks.com/products/free_trial.html

its free too

but its still gay! quick time uses a format that every other player can play.

All Macs come with QT (Apple invented it). You can also get Windows Media Player and Real Player from their respective sites for the Mac.

I Must agree with PeOfEo on all counts... QT is the superior, most compatible, form to use. Windows Media is ok, but limited on many platforms (as far as pre-install goes), and Real truly does suck.

Cheers!

yay!

LOL... I know bud, it had to happen sometime, eh?

Thread Information