dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Client from hell

Client from hell

Recently i have been doing some web design work for a company which started out was good fun i created a web site that he was very happy with but then his brother wanted me to do some work on his web site. The guy has a very small knowledge of dreamweaver and photoshop and thinks knowing this is all web dev is. Well yesterday bit the bullet he has an image gallery with thumbnails leading to the larger image. He told me make the thumbnails 80px by 80px so i goes and does 200 of these then he says oh there squashed do them again make it better he has been dementing me all week change this change that i think im going crazy im away to quit working for him. So he goes and makes one of the thumbnails slightly bigger and goes gosh you dont have a very good knowledge of web design do you i teach you. I just about had myself quitting web design in total why because of him theres no point yes im still young and i dont have quite the knowledge that some do on this messageboard but im still learning ive only been doing it for 6 months and have the knowledge of (x)html, css1,2 , web accessiblity, standards, flash etc nothing really server side yet but theres still time.

Sorry for the rant but i needed to get it out and i was wondering if anybody has had an experience like that at an early age where they thought they would pack it in because of a client.

That is the reason to have a written site specification in as much detail as possible BEFORE you get going.
    1. It gives you a set target that you are after.
    2. As you write the specification, you get all the logistics worked out.
    3. If a customer asks "why did you do that", you have a document to point to and say "you asked me so"
    4. Since your quote is based on that specification, you can charge more when a customer decides to add/change something.

If you just say "I'll make you a web site for $1000", you can only blame yourself for setting yourself up...

Ahh very true well ive learned something new again thanks vladdy.

Cheers again

Thread Information