dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Looking for comments on my big weird site :)

Looking for comments on my big weird site :)

http://www.troutnut.com

My target audience really likes it, but they're not as demanding design-wise as most. Fishermen are used to a lot of amateurish sites and hopefully mine rises above that. I'd like some critique from people more familiar with web design principles.

Way to much scrolling. Try putting some of it on different pages.

I think you did a very good job. You used CSS which is good, your code is valid and it looks nice as well

Warning: main(location.php): failed open stream
    lol i like your graphics on your pages. everything is valid http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht....troutnut.com/ and everything looks good.
    something that i would change though is that your ads for your site are rite at the bottom not many people will click on them and your divider seems like to gradients put together i think it looks bad. thats all rest is good

Hm thanks for the tip Dera, you may be right about the divider. I'm gonna change the look slightly sometime soon and I'll see how it looks with a thinner one.

I generally get a 1-3% clickthrough rate on my ads. Not sure how much I could improve it... the idea was to make them pretty inobtrusive, and with the colors, to make them blend in with the menu. I used to have them in a 468x60 box on the top and the clickthrough rate up there wasn't any higher.

I'm planning to sort of address that problem, as well as the tons of scrolling problem, by breaking my pages down to be only about half as long as they are right now... so the content doesn't extend all that far below the bottom of the ads, people end up seeing more pageviews, having faster load times, and having the ads on their screen a higher percentage of the time that they're looking at the content, without sticking the ads somewhere annoying. Just hard to find the time to make changes like that... it's hard enough to keep up with the new content I'm trying to ad! Photographing these bugs is a real trick.

Warning: main(location.php): failed open stream
    generally get a 1-3% clickthrough rate on my ads. Not sure how much I could improve it... the idea was to make them pretty inobtrusive, and with the colors, to make them blend in with the menu. I used to have them in a 468x60 box on the top and the clickthrough rate up there wasn't any higher.
    Why don't you try a layer that always shows the ad, seeing that you have allot of info on your page, it will always be showing, the script is available at http://javascript.internet.com an example of that script is used at www.shoutboxes.com. But layers are bad for layout purposes, and can also annoy the user, which is not good. Though if theres no change in how many hits you get with your ads then i wouldnt change its location its all up to u

Thread Information