www.webdeveloper.com
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ooh! Bloggy!!

Originally posted by omega
    Oh, just after I commented I noticed that "powered by xBlog lite" thing. Did you code that, or..? I hope you aren't using freeware...
    xBlog Lite is Ryan's script. I agree, Jona is too good for that! And about the most recent comment at the top thing, if you take a look at pretty much any blog site, you will see that the first comment is always at the top.
    -Dan
    Windows XP SP2 - theme: Thallos
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ | ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe | 2 * 1024 PC2-6400 Mushkin DDR2-800 | eVGA GeForce 6800XT 256MB | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Music
    5 * 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 3Gb/s in RAID 5 | Lite-On 16x DVD-RW | Mitsumi 7-in-1 Floppy drive and card reader
    Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20" TFT LCD | Logitech G15 Keyboard | Logitech G7 Mouse | Seasonic PC160SK Headset

Alright, everyone, let's all ignore Jona until he makes his own blog!! And, IMHO, Common != Right. I like the latest at the top, as well as the comment script.

I got lazy and didn't have a MySQL database to work with, plus I'd heard good things about Ryan's software, so I decided that this would be the perfect time to test it out. Why should I reprogram what someone else already has programmed and given to me? I don't feel like programming my own blogging system... not right now. Besides, how many of you use flatfile for your blogs?

Omega, I like the first comment to come first, I don't read a page backwards -- I know you use Greek characters, but let's just say, <html dir="ltr" lang="en-US">, all right?

Oh and I did use pixels on my margins for my PPE layout -- is something not fitting together right?
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

Don't you mean lang="en:us" ? :-D

Anyways, I don't like to scroll if I don't have to. The most recent comment should be the first seen. But, I guess it's a matter of preference, so it's your call. Also, to quote you, not verbatim but "Everyone else's code is foreign". If you make your own blog, you can have it better suit your needs. Hopefully you'll get off your lazy ass (or on your lazy ass, I should say) and make one of your own. I'll keep bugging ya until you do.

And for the record, &Omega; (Omega) and &Epsilon; (Epsilon) are the only greek characters I use, English is the only language I speak, different languages just mix things up (Why else would "Sayanora" be used), and I use flatfiles for my blog.

If you make your own blog, you can have it better suit your needs. Hopefully you'll get off your lazy ass (or on your lazy ass, I should say) and make one of your own. I'll keep bugging ya until you do.
    Give him a break he has enough to deal with man. After all he is helping me with my site. www.rgabbard.com
    "If at first you do suceed, try not to look astonished."
    I have 50 gmail invitations at my disposal, if you want one pm me with your First and Last name and your email address
    HTTPGuru

Never! I don't give gurus breaks... they don't deserve them.

I've never seen "en:us" used. I've seen "en-US" used at the W3C in the HTML 4.01 specification examples, though.

And I will get around to making my own blogging system, and you're taking my statement out of context. His code is foreign, but that doesn't mean I have to look at it to make it work. Plus, since it's on my local computer, I can figure it out easier and he wrote the code for portability so it's easier to understand than ~cough~ my own, at times. Aside from all that, I chose purple because I don't see a lot of purple sites, and the name "Purple People Eaters" is totally radical!

Never! I don't give gurus breaks... they don't deserve them.
    Now who goes driving around without brakes? Not even gurus do that!

And if I am recalling correctly "Purple People Eaters" is the nickname for the Minessota Vikings.
    "If at first you do suceed, try not to look astonished."
    I have 50 gmail invitations at my disposal, if you want one pm me with your First and Last name and your email address
    HTTPGuru

...I didn't know that! But, it looks like you're right! Hmm, I'd only heard it in a song... "One-eyed, one-horned, flying, purple people eater..."

Jona... don't make fun of the non existant typo... or you WILL be driving around with no brakes... or at least none that aren't cut Just kidding. And taking things out of context makes them so much clearer doncha think? I was kidding just mentioning foreign code then going (Sound familiar?), but... nah. And, hey, if you want purple, more power to you... and there's millions of purple sites probably.. but they are all Geocites sites made by little 4 year old brats. I mean kids!!!!

Originally posted by Jona
    I got lazy and didn't have a MySQL database to work with
    You mean.... xBlog doesn't use a DB?! How does it work then? Or is it a DB hosted off of Ryan's server?
    -Dan

PS: I remember learning Purple People Eater in grade 1. That song kicked major ass
    Windows XP SP2 - theme: Thallos
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ | ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe | 2 * 1024 PC2-6400 Mushkin DDR2-800 | eVGA GeForce 6800XT 256MB | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Music
    5 * 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 3Gb/s in RAID 5 | Lite-On 16x DVD-RW | Mitsumi 7-in-1 Floppy drive and card reader
    Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20" TFT LCD | Logitech G15 Keyboard | Logitech G7 Mouse | Seasonic PC160SK Headset

<offtopic>
    *Clears throat*
    Well I saw the thing comin' out of the sky
    It had one long horn, one big eye
    I commenced to shakin' and I said, hoo-eee
    It looks like a purple people eater to me

{Refrain}
    It was a one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater
    One-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater
    A one-eyed, one-horned, flyin' purple people eater
    Sure looks strange to me - One eye?

Well he came down to earth and he lit in a tree
    I said Mr. Purple People Eater, don't eat me
    I heard him say in a voice so gruff
    I wouldn't eat you 'cause you're so tough
    {Refrain}
    I said Mr. Purple People Eater, what's your line
    He said eatin' purple people and it sure is fine
    But that's not the reason that I came to land
    I wanna get a job in a rock 'n' roll band

Well bless my soul, rock and roll, flyin' purple people eater
    Pigeon-toed, under-growed, flyin' purple people eater
    We wear short shorts - Friendly little people eater
    What a sight to see - Ow!

And then he swung from the tree and he lit on the ground
    He started to rock, really rockin' around
    It was a crazy ditty with a swingin' tune
    Sing a bop-bop-a-loopa-loppa-lum-bam-boom

Well bless my soul, rock and roll, flyin' purple people eater
    Pigeon, toad, under-growed, flyin' purple people eater
    I like short shorts - Flyin' purple people eater
    What a sight to see - Purple People?

And then he went on his way and then what do ya know
    I saw him last night on a TV show
    He was blowing it out, a-really knockin' em dead
    Playin' rock and roll music through the horn in his head

Tequila! - http://www.guntheranderson.com/v/data/thepurpl.htm
    </offtopic>

Daniel, you see what happens when you don't try out other people's software? It doesn't use a database, it uses flat file -- the Lite version does, anyway. I'm almost certain that xBlog Pro (Beta) uses a MySQL database. But like I said, I don't have access to a database on the server I chose to use.

Hey.. what about my software? Does xBlog allow you to add, edit and delete your entries at will, and also give you permanent links and comments? I'm going to try to take Ryan's advice and make it possible to edit your comments as well...

Thread Information