www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a government site

a government site

Would be very interested in your critique of our new site. It is for an Australian government department that deals with child protection issues. It replaces a very bland and difficult to navigate site.
    We tried to use CSS for layout as much as possible, but defaulted to tables when required.
    It is aimed at a range of audiences, some with fairly limited internet experience. It's optimised for 1280 x 1024 size screens, but should be fluid enough for 800 x 600.see the site

http://validator.w3.org/check?verbos...ty.nsw.gov.au/
    not quite valid, and not quite fluid. I get a tiny h scroll bar at 800 by 600. Almost there though. I am glad the top of each menu is a link to a page that has a menu on it. You drop downs are java script dependent, but your backup navigation looks great, it is a very stealthy way to slide in some accessibility. I am doing something similar on one of my sites. All in all its a pretty good job, just work out that little list of errors.
    Last edited by PeOfEo; 05-16-2004 at 09:52 PM.

I see no ICRA rating since the site is aimed at protecting children it may have been worth study.

Thumbs up Superb!

Quite a neat site. I especially like the colour combinations.

I rate it a perfect ten for the presentation!

Re: Superb!

Originally posted by vivekmenon
    Quite a neat site. I especially like the colour combinations.

I rate it a perfect ten for the presentation!
    but its just not quite there code wise. Close but not quite (seems like the story of my life... I come so close to success but then screw something up just enough to fail)

is it possible to add some kind of symbol to the drop down menus that show a sub menu is available? I found it a little confusing that some menu items were links and other were titles for sub menus.

Cheers
    Matto (enjoying a cold pint of guiness)
    it's a jungle out there

http://www.beyondthebrand.co.uk

Thanks Matto.
    We tried to insert little black arrows, but they kept moving around for no apparent reasons, and we decided they were too much of a risk.
    HAve you ever had problems with this in javascript?

PS: oooh, I can taste that Guinness! Though I don't know which is worse - drinking while you work, or working while you drink!!!

Originally posted by matto
    is it possible to add some kind of symbol to the drop down menus that show a sub menu is available? I found it a little confusing that some menu items were links and other were titles for sub menus.

Cheers
    Matto (enjoying a cold pint of guiness)

Hi Jyles,

I'm not a techie, more marketing - i usually comment on usability and design than technical issues, hence the comment on the menus. Maybe try posting the question in one of the development forums and see what reply you get. It's definatelt possible to have stables icons as i've seen them on many sites.

Cheers
    Matto

ps the Guiness was being used as a pure transition tool from work to play!
    it's a jungle out there

http://www.beyondthebrand.co.uk

Warning: main(location.php): failed open stream
    wats new title appears in times new roman looks bad dsnt match nithin
    fabioDRN.com

could you apply some css to make your arrows?
    #whatever_your_top_level_id_is {
    background: #000 url(images/arrow.gif) left no-repeat;
    padding-left: 15px;
    }
    In a world without walls and fences - who needs Windows and Gates?! - Unknown Author
    "And there's Bill Gates, the...most...famous...man in the...ah...Microsoft." -- A TV commentator for the 2000 Olympics.

Web Design Faq? | W3C | Validator | Accessibility testing | Speed up your PC | Wura | Box Model Research

Originally posted by dera
    wats new title appears in times new roman looks bad dsnt match nithin
    Dera, could you tell me what browser/ platform you use? We haven't come across the times font in our testing - to us it looks Arial all the way.

Originally posted by Jyles
    Dera, could you tell me what browser/ platform you use? We haven't come across the times font in our testing - to us it looks Arial all the way.
    It occurs in Mozilla Firefox and Win XP because I too can see it.
    In a world without walls and fences - who needs Windows and Gates?! - Unknown Author
    "And there's Bill Gates, the...most...famous...man in the...ah...Microsoft." -- A TV commentator for the 2000 Olympics.

Web Design Faq? | W3C | Validator | Accessibility testing | Speed up your PC | Wura | Box Model Research

And yet again dera you can not spell.
    Quote:
    "wats new title appears in times new roman looks bad dsnt match nithin"

WebDeveloper Forums > Development > Website Reviews > a government site

us people who are crappy spellers resent other crappy spellers getting corrected out of the spelling forum
    Last edited by PeOfEo; 05-27-2004 at 03:38 PM.

Jyles,
    May I suggest using Flash for the image switching on the side banner and give them a fade effect? Or else, just make them still images, because the constant flipping from image to image gets very annoying

Thread Information