www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm new here, can you review my site?

Smile I'm new here, can you review my site?

Hi All

I'm new to this forum, looks like a great resource! I and a web developer for a Phoenix Arizona web design firm called MCP Media. We just recently rebranded and launched our new site, and I was hoping to get some criticism on how I can improve it.

Feel free to attack it. Thanks!

http://www.mcpmedia.com

I see 9 errors in the HTML, and you're using tables for layout. Use valid HTML and semantic markup, and layout the page with CSS, and you will have a great site, in my opinion.
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

Thumbs up Yo!

Excellent site! Keep up the good work...

hey thanks guys!

I was aware of those errors, they may stop the code from validating, but they haven't caused any issues with my target browsers. (pretty much all browsers except the dinosaurs and the more off the wall kind)

I almost spent the time getting rid of the body tag margins, background images in table cells, and name attribute for images, but (don't shoot me here) since they display properly in all browsers that I tested on, I saw no reason to crack down and remove or work around them other than to get that cool little icon that people can click on to see that it is valid HTML.

Don't get me wrong, I don't consider myself a sloppy coder, but if it works it works. Plus, I have seen sites which do validate and do cause display problems in some browsers, so although the validator is a great tool to debug HTML, I no longer swear by it like I used to.

Also, I am a fan of all CSS and div designs, but sometimes a tabular layout is easier IMO. I know the history, tables are for tabular data and divs are for display, but tables have been used by designers for years to display more graphical pages, and I personally don't see any real harm in it. The code isn't overly verbose in my pages, it is actually structured really well from an SEO standpoint.

Anyhoo, I still have more to learn so I'm open, just wanted to play devil's advocate for a moment.
    Last edited by MCP Media; 05-18-2004 at 06:14 AM.

Re: hey thanks guys!

Originally posted by MCP Media
    I know the history, tables are for tabular data and divs are for display
    Where did you get that from? DIV's are not for display, they're for semantic, structural markup. They can be formatted with CSS, but their purpose is not to layout a page, their purpose is to contain objects on a page so that they are understandable by browsers.

I must say that even in a text-only browser it is understandable, and the navigation menu comes after the content. I don't agree with the use of tables whatsoever, but you've designed it to degrade decently. I would still, though, suggest you fix your HTML errors...

Re: Re: hey thanks guys!

Originally posted by Jona
    DIV's are not for display, they're for semantic, structural markup.
    Clarification:
    The div element itself has no meaning semantically, it is often used in conjuction with semantic markup, but has no real meaning semantically speaking.

Re: Re: Re: hey thanks guys!

Originally posted by samij586
    Clarification:
    The div element itself has no meaning semantically, it is often used in conjuction with semantic markup, but has no real meaning semantically speaking.
    Thanks, I should have been more clear on that point; what I was saying was, the DIV's purpose was to allow CSS to manipulate the layout/design of a page, and allow for the use of semantic tags in their proper places.

Re: Re: Re: Re: hey thanks guys!

Thanks, I should have been more clear on that point; what I was saying was, the DIV's purpose was to allow CSS to manipulate the layout/design of a page, and allow for the use of semantic tags in their proper places.
    Which kinda was my point too

Anyhoo, thanks for the reviews so far. I appreciate when you ask for a review and specific lines of code are scrutinized. That means somebody using the proper side of the brain is really looking at the site
    Last edited by MCP Media; 05-19-2004 at 08:38 AM.

These forums definitely have a lot of skilled developers, you can be certain of that.

great site. only one comment - 'web hosting' on the menu appears to be out of place. All other services are listed together, followed by portfolio and case studies and then web hosting. From a user's point of view i think it's best to group all services you offer together.

cheers
    Matto
    it's a jungle out there

http://www.beyondthebrand.co.uk

thanks for all the replies...

I took the time to make the code validate properly. I may even make it validate as XHTML while I'm at it ;-)

That's great, but I clicked the button on the contact us page and it turned out invalid HTML. Did you only make the first page validate? lol

That's great, but I clicked the button on the contact us page and it turned out invalid HTML. Did you only make the first page validate? lol
    So far, yes. I ust edited the main footer include file too, so that only the first page has the validate button.

I am going page by page instead of doing sitewide code changes, because I don't want to upload any mistakes. In a few the entire site will validate, but for now, the front page will have to do.

The motive is always better (or worse) than the action to which it corresponds.

Warning: main(location.php): failed open stream
    I see 9 errors in the HTML, and you're using tables for layout. Use valid HTML and semantic markup, and layout the page with CSS, and you will have a great site, in my opinion.
    Can you use css for layout?
    fabioDRN.com

Thread Information