www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Problem with a site

Problem with a site

Hi All,

This is regarding the website 'http://iopc.info/forum/default.asp'.

This page opens everywhere except in any PC at my office. The error which it shows is as below

-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Microsoft OLE DB Provider for ODBC Drivers error '80040e14'

[Microsoft][ODBC Microsoft Access Driver] The changes you requested to the table were not successful because they would create duplicate values in the index, primary key, or relationship. Change the data in the field or fields that contain duplicate data, remove the index, or redefine the index to permit duplicate entries and try again.

/forum/active_users.inc, line 172

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Can someone please fidn out what could this problem be?

Thanks
    Ashish

hi,
    to start with can you post some of the code so i can have a look at it.
    The error is occurring in the include file active_users.inc

As the error messages suggests you are trying to write to a field in your database a value that compromises the database integrity. A Primary Key should be unique the error suggests you are trying to enter a value into the primary key field that has already been used. It may also be a relating field that is causing the problem. Again you should make sure that you're database integrity is not being compromised when you are trying to write to the database.

Anyway post the code.
    ----------------------------------

I'm not sure exactly, but it seems that if you cannot pull up the page, and its giving you that error, then it sounds to me like it is taking some information about you (like IP or.. something..?) and putting it in a database.

My suggestion would be to clear out your browser's cached files and try again. I don't know exactly what the problem is, but that just might solve it. I've seen variants of this issue before, and that ended up solving the problem... at least on my intranet it did...
    Cheers!
    Rob

nothing to do with IP Nicodemas.

Thanks, but I wasn't saying it was, in fact, the IP. I'm only saying that it could very well have been some sort of information that the server is gathering when the user starts a session, and that information is causing an error because the field that this information is populating is set to Index [No Duplicates].

So yeah...
    Cheers!
    Rob

hi,
    well Nicodemas if you read the error message that was posted you would see that the error occurred in the active_users.inc file which is an include file. This file has nothing to do with the start of a session. Sessions are dealt with in the global.asa file as is capturing HTTP header details such as IP etc. The error is caused by exactly the reason that is stated in the error message. He is trying to write a value into a field thatís has been declared either a Primary Key or a relationship key, which already exists in the database. This will produce an error because it compromises the database integrity. A primary Key means it is unique therefore it is going to give you an error if the value is being used again to uniquely identify a record.

yes but you'll notice, ribeyed, that he hasnt said that it's his website - he's just getting an asp error from it.

Now of course it might be his website, but that's not been said, which would make Nico's comment (about clearing cache etc) quite sensible, especially when you consider it with your comment of "He is trying to write a value into a field thatís has been declared either a Primary Key or a relationship key, which already exists in the database" - if it's not his site, then the variable s may be coming from somewhere else.

It's just a suggestion of course, but i await more postings from the thread started to see what exactly is going on!
    John

hi,
    point well taken jpmoriarty, appologies to Nicodemas

Hi All,

Thanks a lot to you for your interest and suggestions for this. But if you notice this line whcih I wrote:

This page opens everywhere except in few PC's.

I can browse this page very well at my home, but am my work place its giving this error, which is surprising. I can cleared the cache, reinstalled the browser, but still the same probs.

Well this is not my site, and I have also asked the admin of the site to look into this matter.

Cheers
    Ashish

hi,
    well the only think i can think of is that the firewall your company is using will not let you display that site. Your admin should be able to tell you that. It maybe just the case of setting firewall to allow access for the sites ip address.

Thread Information