dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Web Design Buisness Site Review?

Web Design Buisness Site Review?

Hey ive just finished my site for my buisness except a few wee things. Its valid XHTML and CSS. Its a fixed width layout. Just wondering what you guys thought about the design, accessibility, usability etc.
    The site

Cheers

My main complaint is that it falls apart when I try to increase the size of your microfonts...
    Other things are:
    - low contrast
    - does give me a slight sense of deja-vu ( http://www.infinitywebdesign.com/ )

Kool thanks for giving me some feedback about the low contrast i like that so theirs nothing i can do. But about increasing the font size i set the font in ems is there anything you can suggest. Yes i stole a slight inspiration from ryans site but for the layout thats the layout i usually use on most of my sites that are fixed width.

Thanks again

Originally posted by sharkey
    Kool thanks for giving me some feedback about the low contrast i like that so theirs nothing i can do. But about increasing the font size i set the font in ems is there anything you can suggest. Yes i stole a slight inspiration from ryans site but for the layout thats the layout i usually use on most of my sites that are fixed width.

Thanks again
    On contrast: I thought you build web sites for visitors, not for self-admiration.
    On font-size: leave the default paragraph font at 1em(100%). Set the size of text-containing elements it ems so they scale nicely with font size.

About the contrast good point, and i will set the font to 1em as soon as possible.

Thanks again.

Just a navigation thing - I went to the portfolio page, clicked web design, got to Glam phones, wanted to have a look at other portfolio catagories but had to go back to the start...my point is a simple back button (I know there's one on the browser) helps with user confidence on where they are.

How many fonts are you using? If you're intending to use serif and san serif fonts, keep one for big and the other for little fonts. The portfolio page appeared to have both, of the same size.

Hey thanks i will add the back button. Yes some of the pages are not up yet ie the graphic portfolio and some others.

dude, the font is a bit too light, people way to lazy to try to read the light font......maybe it is just me. Pick another color maybe for font? Somehow make it stand out?

Originally posted by Vladdy
    does give me a slight sense of deja-vu (
    A LOT of web design business sites give me the same deja-vu feeling, but um, yeah, there's quite a bit of sameness going on with this one whne compared to Ryan's business site. I still like the overall design though.

Hey All,

noticed a spelling mistake on http://www.thedevilseyes.co.uk/flash.php - 2nd paragraph 2nd word "your" should be "you're" (only minor but thought i'd point it out).

On the de ja vu malarky i think there is a real opportunity differentiate yourself from the millions of other web designers by using the copy (text) to put forward your propositions and USP's. I'd seriously consider working out why you think companies should part with their hard earned money for your services rather than doing it themselves or paying another company for their services. Maybe you have strong project management skills, maybe you're an exceptionally creative thinker or advertiser, maybe you have in depth experience of a specific industry (technical, health, retail...) that shows you can empathise and understand their problems and objectives. The market is saturated with 'web designers who offer hosting' so hitting the key messages home in the first couple of sentences would give visitors a reason to read on and understand a little more about you.

Hope this helps!

Matto

Thread Information