dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good news for all of us who like to see Netscape(Mozilla based) flourish

Good news for all of us who like to see Netscape(Mozilla based) flourish

Just read this article and believe me guys I am so happy reading..wahoooooooo

Netscape Alive again!
    Cheers

Khalid

Message Posting Guidelines In These Forums, Please read these before posting any question.
    Web site: webapplikations.com
    Web Resources Page:Web Resources

The United States Site: http://kellyj.t35.com
    if only the article was printed before cable modems came out and it would have meant a lot more, but AOL is losing many to Comcast (inclusing myself ); we will see how everything turns out

I will agree that AOL is losing customers, however, they are still the #1 ISP as far as numbers are concerned. I view this as a large victory for Mozilla

large victory for Netscape* (= small victory for Mozilla), and I too can never imagine AOL not being the number 1 ISP

Originally posted by steelersfan88
    large victory for Netscape* (= small victory for Mozilla), and I too can never imagine AOL not being the number 1 ISP
    Uhhhhh, Netscape is Mozilla.....

Netscape is Netscape, based on Mozilla, for stats, its Netscape (but yes, same exact browser for the most part)

Originally posted by PhillMc
    I will agree that AOL is losing customers, however, they are still the #1 ISP as far as numbers are concerned. I view this as a large victory for Mozilla
    AOL sucks so much. I have a friend who uses AOL as his ISP and he hates it, I stayed at his house over the weekend and I can see why.

He's on AOL dial-up, and that's all he ever seems to do, he seems to get disconnected every 10 minutes.
    Something else that's bad is how you have to use their browser to dial-up. He has two PC's that we were trying to set up a network with and we just couldn't get the internet PC to recognise the AOL connection at all.

To connect to the internet all you should need is a username, password (and for dial-up, a number to dial to). AOL 9.0 kept crashing on his top of the range PC with a fresh install of XP Pro, work that one out if you can.

I did used to think that it was good for AOL to be so big because you had to use their browser to connect with, but now that I've seen it in action I've changed my mind.

</AOL bashing>

I think that Micro$oft should just save themselves some time and money by striking a deal with Mozilla and ship Firefox with their next OS.

Hopefully the Netscape Desktop Navigator will be super brill and not have these problems, because at the minute my friend dials up with AOL, minimises it and uses IE to browse with. :S
    I did download Firefox while I was there so maybe he will start using that, probably not though.
    Every fight is a food fight when you’re a cannibal.

hey Dave, your code is invalid, you forgot to start the <AOL bashing> tag

and so you know, minimizing AOL and using IE works much faster, as AOL messes around with its other features way too much which slows down the browsing part. Of course, any browser would be faster than the AOL-built-in browser

AOL Bashing???

I guess you guys have no idea how much it did cost in early 9dees(before AOL) to surf the net....????

AOL is the leader and they are the true ISP that actually brought the internet to the masses(remember 19.95 for 24 hr access)
    Today we have way more options then we did in the 94's and 95's and of course people with minimum knowledge usually start bashing about things what they don't know.
    In my opinoin AOL is the true pioneer in the ISP bizz,and of course times have changed and they should evolve faster,but if AOL does not evolve that does not mean they have no role in Internet revolution which some people seem to think that internet was just as accessible 10 years ago as it is today
    Cheers

Khalid

Message Posting Guidelines In These Forums, Please read these before posting any question.
    Web site: webapplikations.com
    Web Resources Page:Web Resources

Well dial-up internet costs £15 over here, at least from NTL Home it does and that's what I have.
    From x-rates.com I can see that 1 american dollor is worth £0.555 which makes that £15 into $27.
    In Canadian dollors that's $36.31.

Well thank God for AOL.

Well lets forget that for a second and I want to refer to something that you said in your post.

Originally posted by Khalid Ali
    Today we have way more options then we did in the 94's and 95's and of course people with minimum knowledge usually start bashing about things what they don't know.
    This is what I know, AOL's browser crashes a lot, disconnects frequently and is therefore a burden when you consider what other ISP's there are out there, ones where you don't need to install something unreliable for them to work.

What more is there than that? AOL is not good anymore, just because I don't remember when it was doesn't mean that I don't know anything.

I do agree that AOL brought internet to the masses, that I praise them for. However, the constant disconnectsa and limits on speed (when it comes to dial-up) are a bit too much.

Originally posted by lavalamp
    AOL sucks so much. [Goes on with AOL Bashing.]
    I dislike them a lot too, but I had MSN Internet once... If you want a bad ISP, use MSN, then try AOL. Personally I like CompuServe the most, even though they basically are AOL, you can dial into local numbers anywhere in the country so you don't have to pay long-distance to use the Internet. I really don't like AOL... at all... but then, we're not talking about AOL (well we're not exactly supposed to be lol). The point is, they've got lots of users, and they're using A Gecko-based browsing system. Thus, less "IE users."
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

Originally posted by Jona
    ... Thus, less "IE users."
    I like AOL much more b/c of that Perhaps this is the beginning of the fall of Internet Explorer? Soon, M$ will charging for the cra....., I mean browser. That in it self will cause quite a few people to go elsewhere, and now AOL has given M$ the boot (just like IBM).

<p class="offtopic">
    &nbsp; &nbsp; I have a question. Is the word "crap" a bad word? I use it casually, in the place of "poop," and my friends do too...
    </p>
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

Originally posted by Jona
    A Gecko-based browsing system. Thus, less "IE users."
    It's one redeeming feature. :P

Thread Information