www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Hello!!!

Hello!!!

Hello!!!

Hello everyone,
    I'm new here so I just want to start with saying hello.

I am student and have recently taken over my uncles website (his old web designer flaked out on him) to help him make some changes. I am new to this process and was hoping maybe I could get some help.

He gave me access codes to his hosting site (it's an ftp site) looks like this ftp://ftp.companyname.net
    companyname is different I just put that there for security reasons.

My questions are how do I go about starting to make my changes do I just open up the files at this site and modify the html files and save them.

Also how do I make the changes live (meaning having my changes actually take affect when you visit the site)

I am new to this process so I apologize. I have web design experience but not with managing the files or taking over another designers web page.

Thank you for your time.

I'd recommend pulling all the relevant directories/files down to your PC (or a separate development environment elsewhere) to use as a development/test platform. Then replace the (changed) files when you are confident you have something that works well. Filezilla is a very useful tool for handling (S)FTP transfers.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

eBookworm.us

Ok thanks I got the files loaded onto my machine. Now I have an issue on the home page when I open the index.html file it loads but has a spot on the page that is suppose to be an image that rotates with a php file, but it's just a blank space on the page that shows a small x and the name of the photo or php file.

hello, im new here to..welcome to us

Thread Information