dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: New to web development

New to web development

I am new to coding. I am 31 and am now trying to break into coding. I have been in physical labor for the majority of my work history and am now unable to do anything I was previously qualified to do due to a work accident. So I am looking to get into the career I wanted to go into back in high school, web development. I have time to learn due to the fact that I still have at least two surgeries before I am capable to get back into the workforce, and I am hoping to just do some freelance work to make a bit of money here and there as opposed to working for a big corporation.
    I know that my current goals are to learn HTML, CSS, JavaScript, and JQuery. As to where I will be going after that I am unsure. I am interested in learning front-end and then work my way toward full stack. I am not sure if I want to go PHP or Ruby yet.
    Any recommendations (for study materials, or directional guidance) would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum.

If you have the money, taking a class is a great place to start. Some of them are free, depending on where you are. Barring that, look at your local library. Some of the books are super dry, so it's a good idea to see what books work for you before spending money on any. In addition to the nuts-and-bolts of web design, make sure to look at the "what makes a good website" part, too. Son of Web Pages That Suck is a bit old, but a humorous look at what makes up bad web design -- and many people still do these things. Just check out 10 books and go through them to give you a better idea of where you want to go. It'll at least give you an idea of what questions you want to ask and what you think you can pick up more easily on your own vs what you'll need more help with.

Regarding Ruby vs PHP, they each have positives and negatives, but in my years dealing with websites, I see PHP used way more than Ruby.

In addition to the myriad of web resources out there (from horrible to excellent) teaching various aspects of web design and programming, try to spend a little time learning general, non-language-specific programming principles and practices. Such things span across most/all languages and help to get you thinking as a programmer who can write effective, robust, secure, and maintainable code. Also, any non-trivial web site is probably going to be data-driven, so start learning about database design concepts and SQL.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

I am also a new about web development related work. So i need to learn more about it.

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    In addition to the myriad of web resources out there (from horrible to excellent) teaching various aspects of web design and programming, try to spend a little time learning general, non-language-specific programming principles and practices. Such things span across most/all languages and help to get you thinking as a programmer who can write effective, robust, secure, and maintainable code.
    There is a book I have seen called Programming, Principles, and Practice. I am currently learning HTML and CSS. Would you recomend that I read something like this after the HTML/CSS, or during?

Just one line to say, website design is the future. that never ends.

Start with basics like building a 1990s style web-page with top-navigation links, a content area, and a footer.
    Then look at adding content to the different areas - images, images as links, forms, lists, paragraphs, etc.
    Learn to style the different areas using CSS - adjusting font-size, colors, position, etc.

To learn things like JavaScript and jQuery, go through the questions that are asked on forums like these and work through the solutions.

At first, you may just want to reconstruct someone's answer by copying and pasting the code and getting it to work on your own machine.

I learned a lot by trying to answer other people's questions here and on sites like http://www.experts-exchange.com/.

Quote Originally Posted by Damurack View Post
    There is a book I have seen called Programming, Principles, and Practice. I am currently learning HTML and CSS. Would you recomend that I read something like this after the HTML/CSS, or during?
    HTML and CSS are not programming, just(?) text mark-up, so programming concepts won't have a lot of impact on that -- though some of the ideas about modularity and code re-use might, I suppose (like applying the DRY (don't repeat yourself) concept to your site by making use of includes for boilerplate parts of the page?). When you get into actual programming with JavaScript and whatever you go with on the server side, then you'll be working with program logic/flow, data structures, design patterns, and so forth, along with general work practices like source code control, unit testing, etc., etc., and so forth.
    "Please give us a simple answer, so that we don't have to think, because if we think, we might find answers that don't fit the way we want the world to be."
    ~ Terry Pratchett in Nation

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

I have noticed that JavaScript isn't an option but almost a requirement when going into this field. My plans currently are to finish my courses on HTML/CSS and go into JavaScript and JQuery. I am trying to figure out the step after that (PHP/Ruby,etc..) so I know which training courses to take first and then build upon from there.

I recently took an online HTML class at the community college and found the process very helpful. The book we used was "New Perspectives on HTML and CSS." Beware that there are a couple typos in the first couple tutorials (telling us to save a CSS file as one name but referring the HTML to it by another name). We touched on the basics of many aspects of HTML and CSS and dabbled in JavaScript (and there was a tutorial on XHTML that we didn't do). The book also provides insight as to the difference between Java and JavaScript, the benefits of CSS, etc. Not sure how much it would help you start a career, but I could now make a basic web page from scratch, and look at the code for a pre-existing page and comprehend what's going on. In fact, I now work the IT department at the high school I graduated from and was able to help customize a Web Auth page for our public Wifi network from a template. Being in a class is helpful since you can turn to an instructor or peers if you get stuck (we had a helpdesk discussion area for this). The instructor also pointed us to some YouTube videos and whatnot to help enforce our understanding of the topic.

That class sure opened my eyes and made me appreciate what everyone here does every day! I've just been tormenting the veterans here in the Coffee Lounge on occasion for the last 8 years, never once contributing to web development-related conversation until now.
    Last edited by EricG1793; 06-07-2015 at 09:08 PM.

Thread Information