www.webdeveloper.com
Page 14 of 181 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: Avatars

LOL. No wall and a shotgun in hand is another combo that makes horses (horsi? heece? ) tolerable.

Cable, eh? I'm working with DSL. And I only have 2 comps, so that make it easier.. and using admin in any field, once or twice doesn't seem to work. It must hate me, lol. It'll just give me the prompt again, in both IE and Firefox (Yes, I downloaded it on the family comp. I'll have to delete IE to make everyone use it now )

Wait a second, wait a second. If you only have TWO computers, you don't need a router. You simply wire the two together, or hook them both up with wireless adapters. It's called Ad-hoc mode, or some such. No router is needed because there is only traffic between two computers, no switching is needed. One computer gets the dsl, and then shares it with the other computer. A lot easier than with a router (Infastructure mode).

Er... but would you still be setting up a network...? Or could you use the Router AS an adapter? Because the router and an adapter have already been purchased, and I don't know if we can return the router. Also, that's what I thought was going to happen anyways: the DSL gets into the router (donno how else to phrase it) and then gets sent down to the adapter.

But... if I'm wrong in my thinking (highly likely/ definite) then we'll have to get another adapter... but now that's a TOTALLY different thing. The adapter (already works with the 'network', it's getting the DSL to go into it that's the problem, basically it's not doing anything) didn't really have anything to set up a network or anything. I know I'm in over my head... but once this is set up, it's done.

EDIT: Just so you know, I can't work on it now because my aunt is over, and my Dad doesn't want me to mess with it unless he's there...

Actually, the broadband router takes the incoming DSL signal from the modem, and splits it equally to all computers in the network. If you have but two computers, you only need two adapters, and the one computer hooked up to the modem shares the signal. If you already have the router and adapter, you can use it, it's just unnecessary (except for future network growth).

If I simply bought another adapter, could I plug in place of the router and be all set..? If it really is that much easier, then I'll do it. Thanks for your help again.

<offtopicness>Would it hurt Korn that much to put out a normal looking video..? Out of the ones on Launch, the most normal is "Right now (3D version)"</offtopicness>
    Last edited by Ben Rogers; 06-05-2004 at 10:34 PM.

Well, in terms of actually setting up the network, its a bit simpler. But either way, you have to set up your internet connection to be shared, which seems to be your problem. There should be a wizard in your Network Places with an option to set up your network. along the way it will ask you about internet. On the computer with DSL, select, I want to share the internet on this computer with others on my network. On your other computer, run the wizard and select "This computer connects to another computer which uses the internet." It's all about the wizards, man! I will probably be of more help tomorrow, as then I will actually be able to use my one computer with XP and give a bit more help x.x

Alright. Well, that works out nicely: tomorrow I'm going to give this thing another shot.

EDIT: Well, it's tomorrow, and I gave it another shot... then called customer service (again), and so it works now. Thanks for your help again, Bob. Gotta love DSL BTW: upgraded YIM, AIM, & WMP and am now watching the SSX3 Master Runs on merqurycity.com ... maybe I'll get some ideas.
    Last edited by Ben Rogers; 06-06-2004 at 01:30 PM.

A series of tubes known as the "internets"
    <topic type="new">
    i figured that this wouldn't get much attention as a new thread, so i'll just throw it in this one. IHOP
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

JONA! going to a newer version of your old avatar! i likes .

RHSUNDERGROUND! digging up a 2 month old thread! you ass!
    "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside a dog, it is too dark to read." - Mark Twain

Yes, you ARE an ass. Good to be mod, tho, eh? And what about my avatar? *glares* Only pplz who read Rorouni Kenshin (and I mean read, the show is horrible. Get the manga) know who Yahiko is, but I think the personality fits, so...

Well I've had my same avatar for a while. It was original until RHS changed his to cartmen. Only I'm allowed to like South Park.

OH YEAH?!?! BRING IT, MODERATOR!!!!

oh, wait...

Holy ****, how the hell did this thread get resurected???
    Windows XP SP2 - theme: Thallos
    AMD Athlon 64 X2 4600+ | ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe | 2 * 1024 PC2-6400 Mushkin DDR2-800 | eVGA GeForce 6800XT 256MB | Creative Sound Blaster X-FI Music
    5 * 320GB Seagate Barracuda SATA-II 3Gb/s in RAID 5 | Lite-On 16x DVD-RW | Mitsumi 7-in-1 Floppy drive and card reader
    Samsung SyncMaster 204B 20" TFT LCD | Logitech G15 Keyboard | Logitech G7 Mouse | Seasonic PC160SK Headset

Originally posted by Daniel T
    Holy ****, how the hell did this thread get resurected???
    how?
    Originally posted by rhsunderground
    JONA! going to a newer version of your old avatar! i likes .

RHSUNDERGROUND! digging up a 2 month old thread! you ass!
    that's how. blame jona - it's his avatar

Originally posted by rhsunderground
    <topic type="new">
    i figured that this wouldn't get much attention as a new thread, so i'll just throw it in this one. IHOP

Thread Information