www.webdeveloper.com
Page 13 of 181 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: Avatars

Right-o. Not reading all that. As for you, MstrBob... watch yaself.

So, am I the only person in here who reads? I just finished "That Was Then, This Is Now" by S.E. Hinton. Good, short book. You're all lame though.

Oh, btw... I won't be online regularly until we get a new upstairs computer, one with an ethernet cable port, so it can connect to the thing that'd send the DSL signal- thingie downstairs to my comp. So I have to be on this shizzbox until then.

My comp stats: Mine: Good. My sis's: Dead. The family comp: Crappy. My mom's: Laptoppish. Happy?

Hey, I read! My last two books: 1984 and A Brave New World. Current Book: A Clockwork Orange. I used to be a big book worm until I got into computers. Now I'm an Internet Junkie.

Yes, but MstrBob you also held me....

Same here. Sadly enough, I've read all the Harry Potter books... but to redeem, I've also read all of Michael Crichtons fiction works. I like tekky+ sci fi+ suspense+ horror books (as in his books are all of those at once)... I'm just weird like that. My last actual book was... uh... Prey, I think. Good book... if you don't mind detailed explanations of areas of genetics (the cool ones ) and people getting suffocated and mimicked by things that could actually exist.... then you should check it out. (Suffocation is very detailed, FYI)

Ah, you think Harry Potter is bad? There is a whole HUGE series of books about Star Wars, I counted once, I read over 50 of them. And they weren't tiny, either. Averaged about 400-500 pages. Eek, I don't know why or how I did it. But now, my reading is rather limited. And as for holding you, Omega, I'll hold you if/when I feel like it! Whoah, okay, yeah that sounds wrong. I'll stop now, sorry.

True, it does sound wrong. And you were a trekkie? God, I hate Star Trek. Better than an um.... Warrie, I guess. Pretty much anything that begins with "Star" is gonna be horrible.

<offtopic>
    OK, new comp ^stairs, and DSL set up. Networks are impossible to set up... can't wait until I'm back on my own comp finally. I've been trying to set up the Linksys dealie so I can have DSL running on my comp and the family comp at the same time. >_< At least I can use IE6 now... oh, yeah, and on this new comp the resolution can be anywhere from 800/600 => 2048/1536... that's just pointless...
    </offtopic>

I'm not a trekie!!!! I loved Star Wars which is MUCH different from Star Trek. Really now, never confuse the two. I feel your pain with the network, I use a Linksys wireless router to split cable internet to the computers at home. Twas a major headache, especially dealing with one of the computers which had Windows XP. Took me forever until I realized that I had to give it our network's actual encryption key, other than the passphrase used by linksys to generate the key. Did they tell me this anywhere? No. It was two months before I got that computer on the network. But in the end, it's all very much worth it. I never would have downloaded Mozilla, Firefox, Opera, apache, and many other programs without high-speed!

new avatar/best avatar ever/harry potter rules!
    PAUL JR. IS A GOTHIC

Oh, crap!!! Both my comp and the family comp have WinXP... I'm screwed, aren't I..? No security stuffs though, except for individual firewalls. Actually, the network was easy to set up, but it didn't do anything. Now the LinkSys thing connected to the modem won't recognize the connection... and yes, the directions are shizz. They even made my dad flip out. He _almost_ put his fist through the monitor... but he gave up instead. We'll have to try again tomorrow...

And no... HP blows. And sad zombie pwns. JP.

Turn off WinXP's personal firewall. It will stop the computers from being part of the Linksys network. If you have a broadband router, it has it's own firewall, anyway. Is it wireless or wired? Wireless is evil, but me mum didn't like the idea of drilling holes in the walls for cables.

How would I go about disabling the firewall? I've never had any security issues; hence I've never messed with the security settings. The routers are wireless; the comps are on different floors, and my dad would sooner forget DSL altogether than drill holes in the walls... and he wouldn't trust me doing that myself in...

Thanks for the tip, btw... this thing is a pain in the ass, but I'm having trouble thinking it's not worth it... I'm watching music videos. I've had dial up all my life, and now I'm watching music videos on launch.yahoo.com. Hell yes.

BTW: Reagan died. Sucks to be him.

Originally posted by omega

I'm watching music videos. I've had dial up all my life, and now I'm watching music videos on launch.yahoo.com.

BTW: Reagan died. Sucks to be him.
    I heard about Reagan. That's sad.

Yahoo has the bestest music Web site!!
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

Not really. He probably deserved it.

And yes, Launch is great... especially on cable. I wish they'd just play the music tho... or maybe have a Britney Spears video play while like, Staind is playing. Eye _AND_ ear candy. Perfect combo.

Originally posted by omega
    Not really. He probably deserved it.
    Dude... that's cold, even if you're joking. I heard he died of pneumonia.

Smarty Jones lost the Belmont Stakes! No triple crown!

I have the exact same thing, then! Go to My Network Places, right click and click properties. Here you configure your network settings. The last tab, I think, should deal with firewall. Just a little check box. Uncheck it. It is a cool feature, but uneccessary and inconvenient with a network. It is quite helpful if ONE of your computers is wired to the ROUTER. Open up Mozilla, type http://192.168.1.1

You configure your router here. If you use WPA encryption at 128bits (HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) it will ask you for a passphrase. Type something random, whatever you want. You only need it once. It will produce a key. Copy down Key 1 exactly as is. You will need to enter this encryption key on all of your computers. Without this, anybody with a wireless adapter can use your network! Can get rather involved, but it is definately worth it.

Yes it is cold, and yes I was joking. And my Dad told me all about Smarty's loss. He was very upset... me? I hate horses.

When I was six, I was at a farm down the street (Middleborough is halfway between rural and suburban) and I had climbed up one of those corrugated steal fences to pat a horse (wicked tall thing) and it went to bite my hand, and I fell off the fence when I pulled away and smacked my head on something; I forget what. Since then I've loathed horses.

As for the routers... my family comp is wired to the modem and the modem is wired to the router... downstairs I have just a router... how else could I've done it..?

As for the security and configuration... I don't think we have any kind of encryption or whatever. My dad can worry about that. Also, that's where we got hung up... it won't let us log in, using any password ever supplied to this comp. The instructions say leave the username blank and put "admin" in the password field, but of course that doesn't work either...

As for horses, me mum loves horses. She was raised on a farm and always loved horses. She watches those big three races and such, and was screaming. As for me and horses, they're rather tall. I like them fine so long as we're seperated by a nice, tall wall.

See, I have cable going to modem, modem going into router. Router sends out internet to all computers. I have four computers, with one (mine) being wired to the modem, and the other 3 using wireless adapters. WinXP is evil when it comes to this (ironic, since it is supposed to be networking made easy ) Actually, I think you are supposed to put username:admin, and password:blank. Or maybe its password admin as well. Of course, I don't know which router you use, so this could be different. Instructions Used that to set everything up. It only took me two months.

Thread Information