dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: onClick Advice Needed, Please!

Question onClick Advice Needed, Please!

Hello!

I am new here and would like some advice from some of you experts on JavaScript. Let me explain what I am attempting to do (and cannot find an answer to):

I have a framed site. On the main page(s) is a header frame, a contents frame and a main frame (not to be confused with a mainframe such as an IBM 3030. LOL ).

In the main frame is an image map. When a user clicks a portion of that image map, I want the contents frame to show the menu for that category (this part I understand how to do), and the main frame to change to an information/advertising page for that category. At this point, I believe, I need an onClick routine to accomplish that , however, I am unsure as to how it should be written, and if there is a JavaScript routine that must be place within the HEAD Tags of the main frame.

I know that to some that this seems rather complicated; to others rather stupid ... but I would truly like some input and advice as to how (if possible) this may be accomplished.

Thank you in advance for your assistance.

You real problem is misuse of frames.
    Your second problem is reliance on javascript for navigation.

Solution:
    Make your site functional without javascript and then we can talk about how you can use scripting to enhance it

While Vladdy's concerns are valid, I have to ask what am I missing? Are you saying that you already know how to change the content in one frame, but not the other? Probably, just me being dense today.

Hi!

Just try something like:

<area href="menu1.htm" target="contents" onclick="location.href='info1.htm'" shape="..." coords="...">

That would open "menu1.htm" in the contents frame and "info1.htm" in the frame, the map is situated in...

Cheers - Pit

Thumbs up Thank You!

Thank you to everyone who gave a helping hand and/or advice. All was greatly appreciated!

Pam Jackson

Thread Information