www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Data storage suggestions

Data storage suggestions

Hi Gang,
    I'm going to be traveling to Japan in a few months & plan to take a bizillion pictures with my digital camera. Does anybody have any suggestions for a device, other than my laptop, that would let me download images from an SD memory card? Something very portable would be nice. I'm sure I'll be able to find somebody with a computer to burn files to CD when I'm there, but if I'm away from that kind of option for a couple of days, I'd hate to run out of memory. Any ideas?
    Computer Zen:
    Program aborting
    Close all that you have worked on
    You ask far too much

"I think I'm turnin' Japanese, I think I'm turnin' Japanese, I really think so... I take your pi'ture!"
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

Re: Data storage suggestions

Originally posted by Aronya1
    Hi Gang,
    I'm going to be traveling to Japan in a few months & plan to take a bizillion pictures with my digital camera. Does anybody have any suggestions for a device, other than my laptop, that would let me download images from an SD memory card? Something very portable would be nice. I'm sure I'll be able to find somebody with a computer to burn files to CD when I'm there, but if I'm away from that kind of option for a couple of days, I'd hate to run out of memory. Any ideas?
    a pocket pc or pda may work. Some of those things can have pretty large hard drives.

Can you use a USB 2.0 drive with a camera?
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

Pocket PC is too expensive. The camera has USB to PC connector for file transfer. Not sure off the top of my head if it's 2.0.

edit
    A quick search reminds me of what I already knew. Pocket PCs are basically the same as Palms. Couldn't find anything with any storage to speak of. Nobody advertizes hard drive size as a hot button. Large storage seems to be done with memory cards (same as the camera).
    Last edited by Aronya1; 05-19-2004 at 04:37 PM.
    Computer Zen:
    Program aborting
    You ask far too much

my friend has a pda.. dont know brand, but it can hold up to 20gb, he uses it as an mp3 player too... has a car headphone to tapdeck adapter he uses. (I was going to buy an ipod, but I heard you have to buy the music from itunes or something to use that, I might get a dell dj, or the samsung or rca equivilents).

Can you find out what your friend has? I'd like to know. You'd think something like this would be popular. A portable hard drive that can read memory cards & transfer the data. There MUST be a market. I can't be the only one, can I?
    Computer Zen:
    Program aborting
    You ask far too much

(I was going to buy an ipod, but I heard you have to buy the music from itunes or something to use that
    well you heard wrong, the iPod can get music from most source, and its also awesome for file storage.
    Last edited by Conor; 05-19-2004 at 06:15 PM.
    PAUL JR. IS A GOTHIC

Thought I'd update this thread, since I'm sure you've all been losing sleep over my dilemma.</sarcasm> I just ordered a 1GB flash memory card for my camera.

I'm still going to keep an eye open for other options, but I think a total of 1.5 gigs of memory ought to be pretty good, especially if I limit the resolution of the pics I take. <cross style="fingers">
    Computer Zen:
    Program aborting
    You ask far too much

Thread Information