www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: My Portfolio Site

My Portfolio Site

http://www.tom-wallace.com

The site is valid XHTML 1.0 Strict and uses extensive CSS. The navigation image rollovers are CSS based, not JavaScript, and even include a work around for the IE flicker bug. Any suggestions on what to do, or what not to do?

I've used accesskeys for the navigation, but I'm unsure if they're really worthwhile (see my post in accessibility forum).

I test it in IE 6, Mozilla and Opera 7 and it looks as it should in all 3 of those. I'd love if anyone can view it in IE 5 or 5.5. Also I'd like to know how it looks on a Mac, either in Safari or IE for Mac. I think Mozilla for Mac is pretty much the same as for Windows, right?

only thing i can think of that i dont like about the site is the animated gif under the navagation... looking at your source code i think its this image, it looks really cool at first, but it makes wierdos like me very distracted
    other than that AMAZING SITE!!!
    Please review my website

Yeah I was unsure about that myself. I was thinking of just making it a static image. Thanks for the review.

Hello, Tom:

Talking just about the design, the only things that don't convince me are the yellow color of the main table (it's a dangerous color, specially with blue text 8) ) and the fact than the text is almost touching the right and left borders.

I like the structure, the use of "shadows" and contrasts, the logo and the backgroung image.. ah, and the text is very readable

Thanks for the review Yosi. I added a bit more padding on the center content div so the text won't come so close to the borders on either side. I'm curious what you mean about yellow being a dangerous color, especially with blue. I'm no color expert. Do yellow and blue not go together? What is a better color choice for the background of the content? I want something bright, but not white, and preferably not bright grey.

Warning: main(location.php): failed open stream
    Originally posted by TomDenver
    Thanks for the review Yosi. I added a bit more padding on the center content div so the text won't come so close to the borders on either side. I'm curious what you mean about yellow being a dangerous color, especially with blue. I'm no color expert. Do yellow and blue not go together? What is a better color choice for the background of the content? I want something bright, but not white, and preferably not bright grey.
    i dnt think yellow and blue go together because they are both primary colours. I've seen pritty neat sites with Blue & Green or if you want a lighter coloured site see my site 2g theme which is viewable automatically here Hope that helped
    fabioDRN.com

hello again, Tom. It's just a personal opinion based on experience. Of course it depends on a lot of factors (my forum uses blue and yellow, for example http://www.livinbride.com), but it's hard when it comes to blue text on yellow background.

The good thing about your yellow color is that, since the blues and violets you have used are "cold" colors, the yellow "warms" the page and makes that part of your design the center of attention.

But the only color aside from yellow I can think of right now is white, and since you don't want white and this is such a subjetive opinion, if you like your yellow keep your yellow!!

by the way.. have you used photoshop for the logo? whow did you obtained such a nice outline of the logo?

I see what you mean about the blue colored text links on the yellow background. Maybe I'll make the links a different color to stand out more, or maybe I can make the yellow more pale.

I did use Photoshop for all the images including the logo. I'm not sure I understand your question about the outline on the logo. I believe I just used an oval marquee, filled that in with a blue background, then added a 2 pixel black stroke for a border. The logo actually didn't turn out the way I wanted it. I wanted it to look more like a translucent plastic sort of thing, like the tabbed navigation on Apple.com.

ok, I use the stroke too in photoshop, I asked because usually it doesn't work so good for me, the outlines don't appear so dark.

Nice site.

RE the logo
    I wanted it to look more like a translucent plastic sort of thing, like the tabbed navigation on Apple.com.
    To get a plastic button type effect you want to layer serveral feathered semi-transparent layers of white. It's tricky, I spend ages trying to get a ceramic effect as seen HERE. (if that's what you mean)
    zing

| Web Design and Development in Glasgow - 404i |
    | Blog |

Code:
    -. .-.   .-. .-.   .-. .-.   .-. .-.   .-. .-.
    ||x|||\ /|||x|||\ /|||x|||\ /|||x|||\ /|||x|||\ 
    |/ \|||x|||/ \|||x|||/ \|||x|||/ \|||x|||/ \|||
    '   '-' '-'   '-' '-'   '-' '-'   '-' '-'   '-'

The image that's used on the contact page is "ok." I would change the contact page to where it has an actual form for people to fill out in order to e-mail you. Beyond that, very nice.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and reviews. Spufi, I changed the contact page as you recommended to a PHP mail form, but left the option there to just click my email address and send mail through the users email program as well.

I suck at PHP, but found the email form extremely easy through an online tutorial.

Originally posted by TomDenver
    Thanks to everyone for the advice and reviews. Spufi, I changed the contact page as you recommended to a PHP mail form, but left the option there to just click my email address and send mail through the users email program as well.

I suck at PHP, but found the email form extremely easy through an online tutorial.
    what tutorial did u use? could you please post the link im thinking of upgrading my site to.
    fabioDRN.com

Dera, this is the tutorial I used.
    http://www.thesitewizard.com/archive/feedbackphp.shtml

thankz allot
    fabioDRN.com

Thread Information