www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Having problems getting started in .net with xml

Having problems getting started in .net with xml

Hi there

I have recently started learning asp.net, i wish to create a xml database with pictures stored. The script would then display the pictures as a viewer. I am currently having trouble finding out how to do this, i am sure it is fairly simple...

Thank you very much
    Brendon

Re: Having problems getting started in .net with xml

Originally posted by minibussey
    Hi there

I have recently started learning asp.net, i wish to create a xml database with pictures stored. The script would then display the pictures as a viewer. I am currently having trouble finding out how to do this, i am sure it is fairly simple...

Thank you very much
    Brendon
    why do you want to use xml? You can't store images in an xml data base, you can store the urls and such, but there is no way to store a file. I would only use xml for very small data projects, as it is one step above a text file. I would use mssql server followed by msde, followed by access, followed by xml. That is my data base pecking order. I guess I could throw in mysql under mssql, but I have never used mysql.

Actually, you could store files within XML if you encoded them properly, but it certainly wouldn't be efficient in either speed or size. XML works better as a format for data interchange than as a structure for a database. There are plenty of free databases that are superior to using XML as a database.

yes, my best use of xml as a way of storeing data is config files.

Thread Information