www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Google blog & blogger.com: rotten garbage

Google blog & blogger.com: rotten garbage

Somebody take the trash out. It stinks in there.

Where? Where is the stench coming from?

From Google!

I went to their recently bought and ruined "blogger.com" web site. What a disaster from a usability perspective. I tried to use the "create your own blog" function: it's broken. Junk.

It kept rejecting my User Name, displaying "characters not allowed:" without specifying what characters are forbidden.

All my browser controls were hidden. Can you say "Mouse Trap"?

I clicked on "Gear" a bottom of page text link, and mysteriously was transported to the Google web site, a page selling Google watches and other meaningless junk. Usability violation: never send users off your site without telling them the link departs from your site, is an outbound link. What a foolish error.

At the new Google "blog": it's not a blog. Why? Because there is no comment posting functionality provided. Blogs enable users to post comments to blog topic posts. Not Google.

Google is so hopelessly out of touch with users, it's absolutely amazing. Disable all user browser controls. yeah...that's user friendly. What jerks.

If you know of any web sites more dysfunctional than blogger.com and the Google blog site, I'll eat my non-existent hat a hundred times, then burp upside down.
    Web Usability Analyst/Content Writer
    "Happy info trails to you." Vannevar Bush

umm I dont know about everyone else but my sign up a couple of days ago to see how blogger worked went seamlessly. It does nothing to my browser and I access it fine

http://mcblogger.blogspot.com/
    PAUL JR. IS A GOTHIC

I just tried it a few minutes ago and had zero problems. Comments are definitely there, too. And templates by top notch designers. Not bad for the price. 8)

Originally posted by ray326
    I just tried it a few minutes ago and had zero problems. Comments are definitely there, too. And templates by top notch designers. Not bad for the price. 8)
    Word Press is where it's at. Ask Eric Meyer. Yes, THAT Eric Meyer.

Spufi(who will be upgrading to v1.2 this weekend hopefully)

Google blog & blogger.com: rotten garbage

Wow, was I irate and annoyed? For good reason.

I just went to www.google.com/googleblog
    and to blogger.com

Still pathetic garbage. I sent Googleblog an email about it last night and an email to Stopdesign.

I wish they'd "stop design"ing dysfunctional web sites. At least these two web sites are sourly sucky to an extreme, and it's my business to analyze web site usability.

When you are doing everything correctly (I'm no newbie) and still cannot get past the first screen...something is screwed up.

At blogger.com I keep getting the "characters not allowed:" right under User Name. This is radically stupid.

So I think, maybe the designer has misformatted this function, and it's the password that contains "unallowed characters". Nope. Instead of my usual }}y-^B9'(',nNn',u3.,, type of password, I used simple, easy to crack passwords like plasticday. Nope. Nothing works.

I've successfully registered at lots of forums, discussion lists, blog sites, bulletin boards, a chat room, etc. and never had problems.

They fixed the browser control problem. Now my brower controls appear.

But the www.google.com site still has only Permanent Link as a functionality under each post, no Post Comment.

A blog site with no interactivity, no way to comment? Dumb. Of course they include comment posting on the "create your own blog site" though, like I said, I can't get past the first screen of registration. But the wannabe Google blog site has no comment posting function. So it's a one way communication, like mass media, like a television commercial. Old fashioned thinking trying to assert itself in new technology. It won't work.

This seems to be, by Googles own admission, the "let's jump on the bandwagon and take advantage of a hip development: blogging!" syndrome.

EDITED TO ADD: I just went to Tyrus McBobber's blogger.com blog site. I tried to post a comment. NOPE. You have to register, "no anonymous comments allowed." This Google idiocy is getting worse every time I try to do something.

Lots of blog sites allow you to post a comment anonymously, I was signing mine "bizability", and some require a legit email address. So at blogger.com blog sites, I have to register, huh? Well, whaddya know. If I could register, I'd have my own blog site by now. So now I cannot post comments until I do the impossible, i.e. register. Ridiculous.
    Last edited by bizability; 05-23-2004 at 02:24 PM.

Ok oh ranting one. Where is your oh so great website that makes Stop Design look so bad? There is a reason for people to register to make comments. One is that this helps stop spam comments. As a person who has a low traffic web site, I know what it's like to spend time killing spam comments, and it sucks. I don't want to know what it's like on a high traffic site. Secondly, and something that will happen in the future, is that since the reader is logged in, the designer of the site could create ways to customize the site for each of the readers. Let's say one reader only wants the last five posts listed, and another reader wants the last three. With reader login, this kind of thing can happen.
    Last edited by spufi; 05-23-2004 at 07:04 PM.

Thanks spufi for that explanation of registration. There are, of course many reasons for registering at a site.

Oddly enough, my other complaints about these shoddy Google products remain unanswered.

Google goes public: I predict disaster. Not to mention that weird G-Mail concept of attaching ads to outgoing email.

I'm not criticizing everything about Stopdesign. I'm just sounding a warning about the new blogger.com site and the www.google.com/googleblog site.

Sure, it bothers me when a company comes out with a "join the bandwagon/hop on the trend train" product, and poses as "we're so hip and smart, of course we should have a blog site."

This site does things right. I guess you could say I've been spoiled by sites like www.webdeveloper.com. I've seen the correct way to do a blog site.

I'll praise Stopdesign for a great project, just as fanatically as I'm criticizing them for this poor project.

I have no vendetta against Stopdesign or Google.

I just cannot understand why such organizations would put out products this bad.

If I'm misunderstanding something, please let me know. I'm not perfect either. But as a user advocate, I get annoyed by radically unusable products, from those who should know better.

you do know stopdesign did not make google.com/googleblog , and they only designed blogger they didnt code it, at least to my knowledge
    PAUL JR. IS A GOTHIC

Thank you for clarifying that. Yes, I know that.

I was informed about this by the Adaptive Path email newsletter, an Information Architecture update service.

Design, coding, usability analysis, content management, marketing strategy, all these elements have to work together.

Most responsible is the usability analyst in this case: he or she should have checked to see that all the functions worked properly with all the major browsers.

Something is really wrong here. Very strange indeed.

Regarding comments:
    Blogger forces you to be logged in to post a comment by default, however this can be disabled by the blog's owner in as little as 3 clicks. I also registered for a blog and had absolutely no trouble with it. What browser are you using?

My browser is IE 6.

My OS is Windows XP Home Edition.

If I'm doing something wrong, I'd sure like to know what it is.

I went to the Help screen at the blogger.com, what a load of bugs they have there.

EDITED TO ADD: the Google blog site and the blogger.com site use the same logo that orange B, as graphic links, so that just adds to the confusion.

When I'm at blogger.com, if I select bottom text link "Gear", I arrive at Google, then I select "All About Google", and then when I'm at that page, I select Google blog by clicking on that mutual logo.

What a linking expedition it is. Why are they so messed up? I'm not looking for someone to blame, I just want to know how such a mess ended up on the Web.
    Last edited by bizability; 05-23-2004 at 11:06 PM.

Way too much to weed through, so I'll just highlight what I can. I believe Stop Design only helped with making one of the default templates, and not really the overall design of the site.

I wouldn't really consider http://www.webdeveloper.com./ a blog site. Frankly, I think the code behind the site should be done even better than what it is.

You keep talking about getting errors, what errors? There's nothing really out of the ordinary happening that I can see. Posting a screen shot would do wonders.

Do know that Google owns Blogger and that's why you will see the Blogger icon on Google's blog because Blogger is what powers Google's blog.

Google's blog most likely doesn't have comments because the likelyhood of sheer number of comments that could hit one of their post. Some of them they may not want being show on their site. Moveable Type recently changed their cost of their blogging tool. Numerous people were pissed. Every hear of something called trackback? People linked to the post on new pricing and suddenly links to users rants started to get trackbacked right on MT's site for anybody to see.

BTW, don't use IE.
    Last edited by spufi; 05-24-2004 at 01:15 AM.

Originally posted by spufi
    Way too much to weed through, so I'll just highlight what I can. I believe Stop Design only helped with making one of the default templates, and not really the overall design of the site.
    Actually, doug did it all
    Originally posted by spufi

I wouldn't really consider http://www.webdeveloper.com./ a blog site. Frankly, I think the code behind the site should be done even better than what it is.
    I'd have to agree with you here. perhaps it would make a good candidate for Version 2

Here is a cut and paste of the problem I keep encountering on the blogger.com site. This is the first page of registration:

Create account Name blog Choose template
    Create an account

Choose a user name Vaspers the Grate
    These characters are not allowed:
    You'll use this to sign in for future visits.

Enter a password Must be at least 6 characters long.

Retype password Enter it again just to be sure.

Display name The name used to sign your blog posts.

Email address

We will never share your address with third parties without your permission.

Acceptance of Terms
    I accept the Terms of Service Indicate that you have read and understand Blogger's Terms of Service

I don't know what more you need to know. I keep getting "These characters are not allowed:" without specifying what characters.

And nobody has a clue as to what I or Google are doing wrong?

Weird. But typical of web sites that are Narcissistic rather than Altruistic.

And nobody has a clue as to what I or Google are doing wrong?
    The first thing I *think* you're doing wrong is trying to use "Vaspers the Grate" as a login name. Very few systems will allow login names with embedded spaces.

Thread Information