dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Official : "something went wrong" - Comments

Quote Originally Posted by \\.\ View Post
    Got the old

and it was editing a post that needed the code block editing to add a " after the action="javascript:;

This issue keeps on cropping up on posts where code blocks are being edited and IMHO its the forum parsing the post on submission thats failing because the code will post but editing is what causes the errors and truncation of code.

Once the auto save kicks in, forget it. And it is effecting PMs also.

Its done it again trying to make a quick reply to a thread. This time it doesn't matter how fast you answer the query, it will result in the error message popping up.
    --> JavaScript Frameworks like JQuery, Angular, Node <--
    ... and please remember to wrap code with forum BBCode tags:-

[CODE]...[/CODE] [HTML]...[/HTML] [PHP]...[/PHP]

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

I asked if there is some other way we can secure the forums that would still allow code and posts to be made smoother. Let's see what our security and tech folks say this time.

Hi,

I tried to email you privately and send you the text I am trying to post. I got the same "something went wrong" error.
    I changed my email text to "this is a test" and it went through.
    Do you want me to gradually build up my message and see where the issue might be?
    Or, can you privately email me an alternate email that I can re-try from Outlook?

forums at webdeveloper.com should make its way to me as should bjones at quinstreet.com
    --- My Signature ---

To me , it seems, I run into trouble if the automatic safe takes effect, even in PMs it happens.
    After about the 4th quote where we start deleting stuff, I get caught.

Its doing that "Something went wrong" thing again.

Can I suggest to whoever it is thats trying to improve on something in the web forum code to revert back and cease trying to fix whatever it is that they are trying to fix because its working fine prior to whatever this developer is trying to fix...

The old saying "If it aint broke dont fix it" has stood the test of time and the "proof of the pudding is in the eating of it" also has stood the test of time.

What would be more productive is if the forum can detect that theirs an error that it automatically generates an internal report and then pushes to use the "old" method of posting that was in use prior to this change, that way you have happy consumers and no hair pulling.

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

Quote Originally Posted by \\.\ View Post
    The old saying "If it aint broke dont fix it" has stood the test of time and the "proof of the pudding is in the eating of it" also has stood the test of time.
    There are other phrases like out of sight of it of mind too.

The error centers on security and keeping the information on the site servers as secure as possible. The developers and our security team are addressing each concern to get the system working smoother without compromising security. You are right that nothing was visibly broken. There is a lot that goes on that isn't visible. We have to make sure everything stays secure. That is a challenge that gets harder all the time. It is also why we won't simply use old code that might have vulnerabilities.

I'm on a couple of our forums regularly too so I really do understand the frustration!

... and here we go again...

Sadly, you’ve reached a page that can’t be displayed.

We’ve logged this action, so we are aware there is an issue!

At this time, please hit your browser’s back button or simply close this page!

The incident ID is: N/A.
    Event id: 2021334588091356165
    Tried to make an additional comment to a post I made by editing the forum post here : http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/sh...een-php-and-js

and I added a couple of lines to the post but the forum has truncated the original ending that pointed the user to an external example about AJAX here: http://www.w3schools.com/js/js_ajax_examples.asp as well as the comment, so I made another post to that thread with the URL.

As mentioned in the other thread....
    I gave the tech team a better example of one of the issues still happening. They are looking into it and I'm hoping for an updated fix tomorrow.

Brad
    --- My Signature ---

I see the web gremlins have been fixing things again... I tried to make a response to a thread and got an error message.

Every time this problem occurs, it seems to centre around BBCode tags or posts with them in and the numerous times I have posted then needed to edit a post to then find it throws an error and then find that the post saved but the BBCode tags and half the post is missing only leads me to think that the issue is to do with the BBCode tags.

Pass a pm back and forth about 5 -10 times and try to edit out the quotes. <shudder>

\\.\ any better today? The more I can provide repeatable steps to recreate issues, the quicker we will get fixes in place. I had a live conversation yesterday with the key security person that is working to fix the SWW errors. He will work on any specific (repeatable) issues we can identify.

If we can tell how to recreate the issue (and possibly include the issue #s reported in the error, then he will work to get the issue resolved.
    --- My Signature ---

My post #43 is driving me nuts. A small paragraph each and maybe throw in a link or 2. About a word wide, start editing. Not until.

Thread Information