www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: mouse in a room of elephants

mouse in a room of elephants

Hey Gang!

My name is Chuck Fox and I'm new to this forum. I've got a situation that some of you may be interested or curious about and I also seek constructive thought regarding this matter. To that end, I've decided to visit a few of the more relevant forums to get this message out and seek comments and suggestions. Basically, throw this into the "court of public opinion."

First a little background on an odd and unfathomable "David vs. Goliath" story I find myself involved with.

On Saturday, March 1, 2003, as I was relocating all of my client and business websites to another hosting provider, I accidentally mis-typed my domain in a client email, omitting the ".com" suffix.

I usually check to make sure the links in my emails are correct by clicking on them, and was pleasantly surprised to find it direct to Google, with "thinkvision" as the search term.

My http://ThinkVision.com site was listed first, but what really surprised me was the other listing under mine that led to IBM's press release announcing their new product-line of flat-panel monitors.

These monitors went by the name of "ThinkVision."

http://www.pc.ibm.com/us/think/thinkvision.html

What I'm looking for are people such as one might find on this forum to visit my blog and --

A) Let me have it...
    B) Let me know what you think...
    C) Tell me where I can stick it...
    D) Give IBM some shtick!

If any of you have ever had any kind experience, similar or not, in the domain name game, I'd like to hear from you. If, after visiting, you've got an opinion of this situation, by all means let me know about it by commenting, or posting to the blog forum.

The home page of the blog explains this anomaly in more detail, so I'll leave it at that and hope to hear from you. Hopefully positive thoughts, though negative opinion is accepted also, cuz that's the nature of blogging.

The blog: http://tv.chuckfox.com/

In advance, thanks for the help. Rock On!

Best,
    Chuck Fox

"The creation of a thousand forests is in one acorn."

-- Ralph Waldo Emerson

tv@chuckfox.com
    http://tv.chuckfox.com
    Last edited by ChuckFox; 05-27-2004 at 04:50 AM.

Personally I think that you were wrong to turn down the 10 grand. You also make unfounded assumptions like "they MUST have this domain".

This is a help forum for questions about domain names, such as how do I register (maybe not that basic but you get the idea), you shouldn't be asking "how much do I make them pay for this?"
    Every fight is a food fight when youíre a cannibal.

lavalamp,

I've had business activity in the name, on and off, for fifteen years. I've had the domain for three years. way before any business activity on IBM's part. The 10 g's is not the price to get it out of my hands. i spent too much buildng my business, my site, and my repuation to settle for so little. A medium website gig would give me that in a heartbeat.

As for 'must have it". I believe that to be their corporate intellectual property responsibility.

As domain disputes have proliferated, it is usually under the guise of "protecting" their trademarks that they go after cybersquatters (of which I am most definitely not).

The "must have it" realates to their responsibilty in making sure it is, in fact, protected and under their control, not mine., And the only ethical and reasonable way to do that, is to seriously talk to me in good faith!

Since IBM has yet to achieve trademark completion, I'm sure they plan on getting it from me after that milestone, come hell or high water. The blog is my antidote

I know how much I need to transfer this to IBM. I don't need anyone to help me answer that question. Though I'd like opinion on that matter, anyhow. But what I am seeking is similar instances where people have had domain situations arise like mine, and what did they learn/get out it.

That's the gist of my post above.

Sorry, lavalamp, if you see the post as something different than it actually is.

My best to you, Chuck
    Last edited by ChuckFox; 05-29-2004 at 07:26 AM.

At first you didn't realise that you could get to their site by using a www. but now that you do know that how do you hope to get them to buy it off you now?
    Every fight is a food fight when youíre a cannibal.

Thread Information