dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Moving to VPS from shared hosting

Moving to VPS from shared hosting

I have the opportunity to move a website from shared hosting to a VPS. Server-side stuff is definitely not my forte -- it's kind of like falling off the edge of the world, or "beyond here be dragons" . A bit of research has yielded this tutorial:
    https://www.mckerracher.net/vps
    But it's really more about setting up and managing the VPS whereas, from a conversation with the host's tech guy, it seems I'll be using "managed" VPS with a LAMP stack and cPanel pre-installed.

2 questions:
    1) Are there any more tutorials or better tutorials you have used?
    2) What questions should I be asking the hosting company? The site is not high-traffic -- mostly plain HTML, CSS, JS with a smattering of PHP and Perl for a few server-side goodies. Therefore I don't think hardware really matters much.

Thanks,
    Kevin
    In dog beers I've only had one.
    Share on Google+

If the current shared hosting site is on cpanel this is really a breeze to move over. Just do a cpanel full backup and copy that to the new vps. Then on the VPS do a full account restore. Then you will need to change the name servers for your domain name to the name servers for the vps.

It is pretty simple and there are tons of tutorials for this around the web. Just search for cpanel backup and restore.
    Share on Google+

Hi energizedit!

Thanks for your response! Unfortunately(?) cpanel is not on the current shared hosting site. So using that for a transfer is not an option.

Yeah, I already know about changing nameservers, blah-blah, to get things pointed correctly. I'm hoping though that I can get a temporary address/URL to get things working right on the VPS prior to moving the nameservers.

Thanks again!
    Kevin
    Share on Google+

Hi Kevin,

No problem... If you don't have cpanel, does the site have any databases it uses? If not then again, this would be a very simple transfer of files from the old server to the new. If it does use databases you just need to get a db dump. This can be done with phpmyadmin, if that is on the server, or by command line. You would then need to create a new database in the cpanel account then use phpmyadmin to import the .sql file to import all the data.

Hope these pointers set you in the right direction.

Thanks
    Share on Google+

Heh, straight HTML, CSS, JS and a few Perl and PHP scripts. No databases. Well, no MySQL anyway. There's a couple of XML files that get used as "databases" in a way.

For better or worse I just made the phone call to make this all happen. It could get ugly, but I'll work through it.

Thanks again,
    Kevin
    Share on Google+

Unfortunately when you transfer sites often there are problems, as a rule, a provider's support provider of VPS free or for little money helps with site migration.
    Share on Google+

12-10-2016
    Antique
    Closing
    Share on Google+

Thread Information