dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: I'm failing at my web design with Pingendo. What alternative works?

I'm failing at my web design with Pingendo. What alternative works?

I tried building a website with Pingendo with Bootstrap's templates. I failed rather miserably. I need some advice for what to try next.

I had hoped to build my first and own web site without using the tools of a web hosting service. The Bootstrap based Pingendo gave me some results, but I didn't find the templates close to what I wanted so i tried adapting one template. That got all complicated. Things switched places, disappeared, and some elements I just could not change or even delete. I understood the HTML and CSS, but it became overwhelming - I know Bootstrap is not easy to learn. I fear Bootstrap Studio will likely not be better. Where do I turn next and still build a site on my own with no money spent?

I have tired Mobrise, Pinegrow, Webflow, Silex, Squarespace, Komposer, BlueGriffon, Maqette, Bolt, Symfony. None are really suitable.
    Help.
    Lou.

Hi louarnold,
    What type of "web" are you looking for to create: a client-side (static: just serves information with no user-input) or a server-side (dynamic: interacts with visitor(s) and can write and read complex operations with use use of server advent[ure] coding(s)) - for example(s).
    Can you provide the address of the "template" you chose to download so the example within your description can be sought to better understand the caliber of your thought(s)?
    - Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by Douglas_William View Post
    Hi louarnold,
    What type of "web" are you looking for to create: a client-side (static: just serves information with no user-input) or a server-side (dynamic: interacts with visitor(s) and can write and read complex operations with use use of server advent[ure] coding(s)) - for example(s).
    Can you provide the address of the "template" you chose to download so the example within your description can be sought to better understand the caliber of your thought(s)?
    - Douglas
    The web site "type" is really static, but it must be suitable for mobile devices. The content will be mostly articles to be read, and so its in essence a blog. I just want it in my format and style and not as a typical Wordpress blog. I don't want to get into more details.. But type and style really aren't the issue.

The template I downloaded and tried to modify is from "https://startbootstrap.com/template-overviews/business-casual/". I tried several others with the same result, so the exact template is not the issue.

In my cases, the problem seems to be Bootstrap itself. Some aspects of the CSS have wide ranging effects and locating the source (in the JS, CSS or HTML) of any visual element is rather difficult. Then one has to trace through nested code. Pingendo can't really handle these things, and I wonder if any software, in fact, can. Are the W3C standards and templates really much simpler?

For the type of site you are building, I would strongly recommend using HTML5/CSS3 without fancy frameworks!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by jedaisoul View Post
    For the type of site you are building, I would strongly recommend using HTML5/CSS3 without fancy frameworks!
    Well, I'm not that good, as I found out by trying exactly what you suggested.http://www.webdeveloper.com/forum/im...ons/icon10.png

Hi louarnold,
    You're good (You just are not aware of it yet). When we all start out on our own, the journey seems exciting and we hope we get there fast so we can enjoy it ... so to speak. It takes a bit of time and paying attention. Sometimes we pick up a friend or acquaintance to assist in "take over the driving" when we get tired and need a rest.
    Can you make a rough drawing/sketch of the basic layout of the page design layout you'd like for your template that could be produced by some aspiring here that needs (or wants) to help you out in providing a HTM5L/CSS3.
    It is things like this that reinforce what is learned and helps another along the way.
    ... the drawing/sketch doesn't have to be pretty just a view as towards your desired layout so that page w/styling can be provided for you that would allow you (a modest enterpriser) an ability to grow. You can upload a picture/snapshot of the drawing/sketch via some "[free] image uploader (of your choice)" on the Internet and post a link (use the BBCode's "URL" Tags available here) to the "view my desire".
    - Douglas

Hi Again louarnold,
    After getting my necessary immediate work completed I went and visited the site and downladed the "template".
    I viewed the "index" page (HTML) code and skimmed the [External] CSS file. Nothing real complex as far design goes.
    Have you been out to w3school's HTML 5 Tutorial Area
    It is a wonderful aspect for the novice, moderate, and, professional (when they lose sight of a simple thing - Albert Einstein couldn't tie his shoes -but he was a genius...).
    Sometimes we just need to slow down a bit and take a few minutes to smell the roses ... as it were.
    If you want we can most likely work this through for you. Just takes a lil' time when we're not in the same room (physically).
    - Douglas

Hi louarnold,
    You're good (You just are not aware of it yet). When we all start out on our own, the journey seems exciting and we hope we get there fast so we can enjoy it ... so to speak. It takes a bit of time and paying attention. Sometimes we pick up a friend or acquaintance to assist in "take over the driving" when we get tired and need a rest.
    Can you make a rough drawing/sketch of the basic layout of the page design layout you'd like for your template that could be produced by some aspiring here that needs (or wants) to help you out in providing a HTM5L/CSS3.
    It is things like this that reinforce what is learned and helps another along the way.
    ... the drawing/sketch doesn't have to be pretty just a view as towards your desired layout so that page w/styling can be provided for you that would allow you (a modest enterpriser) an ability to grow. You can upload a picture/snapshot of the drawing/sketch via some "[free] image uploader (of your choice)" on the Internet and post a link (use the BBCode's "URL" Tags available here) to the "view my desire".
    - Douglas
    Well....thanks for the praise, but ...well, you know...

I have an outline format in pencil, but I'm not even close to that format in the template, so I have essentially abandoned it.

Hi Again louarnold,
    After getting my necessary immediate work completed I went and visited the site and downladed the "template".
    I viewed the "index" page (HTML) code and skimmed the [External] CSS file. Nothing real complex as far design goes.
    Have you been out to w3school's HTML 5 Tutorial Area
    It is a wonderful aspect for the novice, moderate, and, professional (when they lose sight of a simple thing - Albert Einstein couldn't tie his shoes -but he was a genius...).
    Sometimes we just need to slow down a bit and take a few minutes to smell the roses ... as it were.
    If you want we can most likely work this through for you. Just takes a lil' time when we're not in the same room (physically).
    - Douglas
    In fact, I have been through the HTML5 online course and the CSS course, but courses didn't prepare me for the actual code. For example, in that template, I spent hours trying to delete things and yet keep the bar-menu functional. It also took hours to replace the background image. It was in some file (I forget what) and buried in something quite unexpected. Furthermore, the substituted image was somehow incorrect in size and the entire web page collapsed. That was done with a code editor; I can't imagine how Pingendo would have served in that regard.

Thanks for your offer of help, but that's exactly what I didn't want to do. I have to know things to tweak things over time.

I don't think manually coding HTML, CSS and Javascript is the point. These languages, automation, and W3C frameworks have a very steep learning curve before I could even get into the simple functionality that I already mentioned. I discovered this difficulty years ago when I tried this same project. That's why I tried the software tools. Perhaps the technology is only in the expensive online tools. Perhaps only skilled people can do this efficiently.

Anyway, It seems there are no other solutions, so I'll have to think about your suggestions a bit more.
    Regards,
    Lou.

If you just need to get a site up in the quickest time possible, I recommend giving wordpress a try. It is mobile responsive, fairly easy to learn, tons of tutorials on youtube. It gets fairly good results in SEO as well. Not to mention there are thousands of free templates that you can use. That will get you online quickly, then you can take your time about deciding on another platform if you find wordpress is not working out.
    Cheers,
    Art

Hi louarnold,
    Familiarity comes from knowing what one breaks - one needs to repair or substitute. You're on your way -just pay attention with what you do and when you see what you did and you get it to work again - you're learning and just keep reading a lil' at w3schools about the 'tags" you worked with.
    - Douglas

confused:

Thread Information