dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: [RESOLVED] "Responsive" stylesheet having no affect whatsoŽver on my phone

resolved [RESOLVED] "Responsive" stylesheet having no affect whatsoŽver on my phone

The website is http://www.mrinitialman.com/TestSite At full width, the navigation is on the left, the subnavigation (such as the Library page) on the right. At smaller resolutions, the two menus should be on top and bottom, respectively. But on my phone screen, they are on the left and right. I've tested the sheet by resizing the window, and that works fine, but it still has no effect on my phone. What's going on? The stylesheet is at http://www.mrinitialman.com/TestSite...ain_screen.css
    Last edited by Mr Initial Man; 02-12-2017 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Skipped a few words, which ended up being misleading.

You are missing a key <meta> tag:
    Code:
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
    In dog beers I've only had one.

Thanks Kevin2,
    ... all the neat lil' new tricks that - for me - I used once and awhile ago and because I hadn't really develop[ed]ly coded for awhile I forgot ...
    Thanks again - keep the small and seemingly insignificant material coming ...it should never be under-stressed or overlooked to mention.
    - Douglas

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin2 View Post
    You are missing a key <meta> tag:
    Code:
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1">
    Never even heard of that meta tag, but it worked wonders. Thank you.

Just to clarify, in case anyone gets the wrong impression from this thread: The "viewport" meta tag does not MAKE the web page responsive. It tells mobile devices that the page IS responsive. So adding the tag in this case succeeded because the page was already responsive, but was not being treated as such by the mobile device.

Using the viewport meta tag with a web page that is not responsive is likely to be less user-friendly than not using the tag.

So in other words, the <meta> tag tells the device "You don't have to scale this page down; the code's got small screens covered."

Thread Information