dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: About Web Development as a side career and other questions.

About Web Development as a side career and other questions.

Hi Webdevfolks,
    My first post here, so please pardon if there are any mistakes.
    I am currently working as a Storage Tech Consultant. I'm seeing a lot of change happening around.....with everything being focused on various cloud technologies (AWS is the primary one), I see a lot of focus in technology moving from administering it to actually making it easier for developers to create and manage storage. As a side career option, I am contemplating to get into web development.
    I am comfortable with Linux and Windows, have done scripting in Perl earlier. Databases is something I am not familiar with, but willing to learn.

I will be thankful if you could please let me know:

1) How's the Web Development field in 2017? Is it getting way too automated? Is it something that one can rely upon in case one loses the regular job? How's the pay?

2) I'm comfortable with Windows and Linux. I have a dual boot laptop with Windows 7 and Linux Mint. It's a ThinkPad T430 with 16 GB RAM and Intel i5 3rd Gen Processor. Will it be sufficient? I currently do not have money to invest in a Mac. Is using Mac a must?

3) Udemy has a Web Developer 2.0 course that I am planning to take. Has anyone here taken it? Is it worth it?

Please let me know.

[code]2) I'm comfortable with Windows and Linux. I have a dual boot laptop with Windows 7 and Linux Mint. It's a ThinkPad T430 with 16 GB RAM and Intel i5 3rd Gen Processor. Will it be sufficient?[/b]

More than sufficient. HHD space maybe a problem, since I am not looking up the specs, but a USB hdd will take care of that.

More than sufficient. HHD space maybe a problem, since I am not looking up the specs, but a USB hdd will take care of that.
    Hi Train,
    Thank you for the response. I have 500 GB hard disk. Not SSD through. I think it should be sufficient.

You can probably set up a local instance of Apache on your Linux partition, along with MySQL and PHP, and be able to do some full-stack development, play around with WordPress, etc. You don't usually need real horsepower until you're dealing with many concurrent users and large, complex databases.

As far as side jobs: I suspect the challenges will, once you achieve some technical proficiency, have less to do with what you can do and how well you can market your services and get clients willing to pay you a reasonable fee. At least that was my problem when I tried to do freelance work: I wasn't good at being sales and accounts receivable, along with being the developer.
    "Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

My Blog
    cwrBlog: simple, no-database PHP blogging framework

Thread Information