dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Carriage returns in website

Carriage returns in website

Can anyone tell me please whether you would expect the feature of carriage returns to be a standard functionality within a website build.

Our developers have advised us that we need to pay extra to have the page formatted so that it is not one block of text that is difficult to read.

The solution is fairly obvious once the newcomer realises that a web page is only the browser's interpretation of html markup, and that a new line in html is represented by the <br /> tag. So what is needed is a way to swap carriage returns or line feeds with the <br /> tag. Well, a way to Replace() them, actually.

You could also begin your block with <p> and end it with </p>, and then have your carriage returns replaced with </p><p> or the like.

Personally, I think you should upgrade--at least to Horseless Buggy returns.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilly View Post
    Can anyone tell me please whether you would expect the feature of carriage returns to be a standard functionality within a website build.

Our developers have advised us that we need to pay extra to have the page formatted so that it is not one block of text that is difficult to read.
    Any properly written web page using the current HTML 5 markup will not be using carriage returns. Nor have I ever seen them needed for HTML 4.0+, XHTML 1.0+, etc. Use of the proper CSS for page presentation will allow browsers to parse the pages as you would like to see them. Sounds like someone is trying to make some extra money

The simplest "carriage return" for HTML is just the break tag: <br>. For semantic writing I recommend to use the "p" tags: <p>Blah, blah.</p>. Most any tag can be "fancied up" using CSS3. There are other tags that can be used for special indentation for content. Example: <blockquote>Long blahs.</blockquote> (Used for quotes from another source. Browsers will indent content as needed. Can be CSS controlled)

Many coding languages, if being used, may use carriage returns and line feeds in the code. Some will have to have have special attention. See example: How does the carriage return work in C?
    Last edited by Major Payne; 06-11-2017 at 05:27 AM.

Thread Information