dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: So much for the support centre...

So much for the support centre...

Can you believe it? Really heard some stupid claims in my time from IT support, this one takes the biscuit... but first, the problem...

I got a friends laptop (well her daughters) its HDD died and I performed the autopsy yesterday...

Anyway, the laptop is in need of drivers for the motherboard, the usual chipset, video, audio, etc, more importantly fan drivers to stop the fan doing its own impression of a hair dryer.

I called STONE support centre, this was after 5 days of email ping-pong with some girl in the support centre frontline staff who didn't seem to appreciate or comprehend what I was after.

So today I call the phone support, after 20 minutes of discussing the needs, the tech guys wouldn't let me have the motherboard drivers because they say that the board was discontinued in August 2015, despite the fact that I have a laptop needing drivers that works and they are refusing to provide support because of the discontinuation as well as that, the laptop is out of warranty and they want 50 to look at the machine.

They then wanted to speak to the account holder who supplied the machine, yet another stumbling block... So I am still without drivers.

The options they presented me was to put windows 7 on the machine (not the 64 bit version but the 32 bit version) despite it being a 64 bit machine, then download the drivers from the website (their) which I explained several times no does not list any drivers...

So does anyone know where I can pick up a set of motherboard drivers for a STONE NT303 Laptop from as I am only seeing the same places listed in my results again and again which are not helping because they are other forums asking similar questions.
    --> JavaScript Frameworks like JQuery, Angular, Node <--
    ... and please remember to wrap code with forum BBCode tags:-

[CODE]...[/CODE] [HTML]...[/HTML] [PHP]...[/PHP]

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

Did you try the driver finder?
    https://www.stonegroup.co.uk/driver-finder/

Yep I tried it and they only have motherboard drivers for XP and Win7, because they discontinued the motherboard in 2015, they were not releasing any driver for the motherboard.

So I pointed out that MoBo drivers generally don't depend on the operating system but rather provide the drivers to operate those components in an optimal manner and illustrated this to the tech when I has a windows problem in the past, when I had WinXP having a hissy fit, a really old dll file off a Win95 install fixed the problem. So my point being made about this is that Win10 is not much of a leap from Win7 or XP for that matter, I said I would like the drivers to try and they refused.

It is clear to me that they wanted the machine returned to them to charge my friend hundreds of pounds in repairs over a device that could be replaced with a new laptop for the same price. I was only trying to help a friend get their daughters PC back up and running in a day rather than weeks, my friends daughter has learning needs and relies on the laptop to communicate.

So I have decided to go the long route and find out the individual components of the mobo and have already got the CPU drivers from Intel and hopefully the Fan speed drivers will be in that installer because the laptop is either silent or blowing like a leaf blower.
    --> JavaScript Frameworks like JQuery, Angular, Node <--
    ... and please remember to wrap code with forum BBCode tags:-

[CODE]...[/CODE] [HTML]...[/HTML] [PHP]...[/PHP]

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

I have ID'd the maker of the mobo and found drivers that way.

Thread Information