dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which is the Best Code Editor?

Which is the Best Code Editor?

The choice of a source code editor shouldn't come lightly. This is where we spend most of our development time and where productivity is gained or lost on a grand scale. No two developers are alike, so there is a plethora of editors that can accommodate any coding style. But this politically-correct statement doesn’t answer the most fundamental question of all - which is the best?

To determine the best editor, we will rate each one on a scale from 1 to 5 stars, consisting of:

• Beginner friendliness - how easy it is for a beginner to get up and running when opening it for the first time;
    • Power - this criteria rates the feature set, text editing capabilities, editing modes etc.
    • Extensibility - does the editor supports plugins, bundles or extensions;
    • Aesthetics - we strive for beauty in our work, so it is natural to look for the same in our tools;
    • Speed - this rates the startup time, performance when opening large files, snappiness of the interface;
    • Cross-platform - if the editor is available on multiple operating systems.
    • Price - the lower the cost, the higher the mark.
    • Editors are presented in groups, giving some context on the typical type of developer that would use them.

The "best" is whichever one you prefer to use and are most productive with. Other people's opinions really don't matter much, and there is no "one size fits all" solution.

IMHO
    "Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

My Blog
    cwrBlog: simple, no-database PHP blogging framework

I would say Brackets ! But it's up to you of course atom is fine to depends what you like more.

Sublime Text for me! It is available for Windows, OS X, and Linux.

Try dreamweaver. It is said to be the best code editor

@ezrankings

Dreamweaver is not a code editor, but it does contain one (which is not very highly rated). If you use DW just as a code editor, you are missing the point.

IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by jedaisoul View Post
    @ezrankings

Dreamweaver is not a code editor, but it does contain one (which is not very highly rated). If you use DW just as a code editor, you are missing the point.

IMHO.
    Exactly and also Dreamweaver is paid software as far as i remember so if anyone is using it just as a text eidot it's sucha a waste of money. Especially when there is so many free great choices.

I use PhpStorm and generally like it. It's a pretty full-fledged IDE. There are simpler solutions if you don't need all the bells and whistles. I also own BBEdit which is a decent text/code editor.

It’s pretty subjective. I’m familiar with TextWrangler and I love some of the features of Brackets and Sublime Text. Atom also seems to be a good choice – in some ways, it reminds me a lot of WordPress. The decision is yours to make.

I've just discovered VSCode. It's too early yet to say this is my new editor of choice, but there's a lot to like about it, and it's free and open source; so I'm not holding the fact that it's from Micro$oft against it yet.

https://code.visualstudio.com/download
    "Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

My Blog

C-11,OKHLA VIHAR, JAMIA NAGAR, NEW DELHI-110025
    Notepad++ Notepad++ is a free and open source code editor for Windows.
    TextWrangler. TextWrangler came out of the popular BBEdit text editor.
    Coda.
    Sublime Text.
    TextMate.
    Atom.
    BBEdit.
    UltraEdit.

WYSIWYG editors are great for seeing an instant rendering of what you are working on like in Dreamweaver and other WYSIWYG editors, however, you can still get instant results by just viewing in a web browser and you don't need a server installed if its basic HTML.

I use Notepad++ and have done for years, I even use it on Linux (under WINE) perfectly fine.

You have Notepad (under windows) and its clones under Linux that you can use just as effectively, it just doesn't have the syntax highlighting.

These days you can write code directly in to your website through an interface on your web hosting cpanel, so do you really need a text editor?
    --> JavaScript Frameworks like JQuery, Angular, Node <--
    ... and please remember to wrap code with forum BBCode tags:-

[CODE]...[/CODE] [HTML]...[/HTML] [PHP]...[/PHP]

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

Quote Originally Posted by \\.\ View Post
    These days you can write code directly in to your website through an interface on your web hosting cpanel, so do you really need a text editor?
    For most of the code I write, yes, I need a code editor. No, not WYSIWYG*, but able to help me maneuver between method declarations in different files, pop up an in-editor terminal window to run tests, provide parameter hints for function args so I don't have to look up the documentation, etc. Not that I have to have those sorts of things to write code, but if it helps me write it faster and more accurately, why not?

My Blog

I vote for Codelobster

Quote Originally Posted by NogDog View Post
    I've just discovered VSCode. It's too early yet to say this is my new editor of choice, but there's a lot to like about it, and it's free and open source; so I'm not holding the fact that it's from Micro$oft against it yet.

https://code.visualstudio.com/download
    It is rather good, I switched from notepad++ to it

Thread Information