dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Ethics in SEO Marketing

Ethics in SEO Marketing

This is a bit of a tangent topic, but relates to this forum.

Many SEO companies try to post in an attempt to gain business from the huge number of people who visit this forum. Many try to gain backlinks and/or marketing by posting as one user ID and then answering with another. Other attempts to gain marketing and/or backlinks are done by posting a comment or question that indicates they poster is being told something by "company X" that does "Y" and they need to know if this makes sense. It often is written in a way that does make sense with "Company X" actually being the company they are promoting.

In the first example, the person is playing naive in order to get the link/marketing. In the second method, the person is likely lying in that they weren't asked a question at all.

My questions are - would you consider these SEO marketing tactics unethical? Would you hire a company doing this type of promotion?

As a note - The moderators and power users on this forum are very good at identifying these situations on the forum. Such posts generally result in the posters being banned and often their company names are censored.
    --- My Signature ---

I think the ultimate test of "good" SEO, is whether there's a material benefit to the reader. Black hat tactics, pushing crap content in ways to generate backlinks, is certainly un-ethical, and I'd ding those doing so. That said, there are likely cases where there's good/useful content that could be posted Q & A style (by a single party), either to 1) get it exposed, or 2) present it in a compelling way. At the end of the day, I'd say if it's helpful, it's fair game.

I don't believe SEO exists in the ways it did in the old days. I don't think any unethical SEO of any kind will benefit you. I'm saying, morality aside, I do not believe those methods work any longer. Google can see traffic, and where users go and what they talk about. The algorithm is just smarter. Make great content that people love and make it easy for google to digest that content. Include any meta data possible. Make sure your website is fast.

Quote Originally Posted by RoboSquidTV View Post
    I don't believe SEO exists in the ways it did in the old days. I don't think any unethical SEO of any kind will benefit you. I'm saying, morality aside, I do not believe those methods work any longer. Google can see traffic, and where users go and what they talk about. The algorithm is just smarter. Make great content that people love and make it easy for google to digest that content. Include any meta data possible. Make sure your website is fast.
    Thanks for the information

802 City Centre, Udhana-Magdalla Rd, Udhna
    Ethical SEO can be defined as search engine marketing using only techniques and strategies that search engines consider to be acceptable.There are real risks associated with trying to game the search engines big brands have been penalised and we do not believe that the risks are worth taking.

Thread Information