dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: Webdev/Windev/VisualStudio inquiry

Webdev/Windev/VisualStudio inquiry

Hello, i am getting into teaching myself web development. I hope im asking in the right forum.

-are there any developers that use/used pcsoft's windev or webdev.

-Do you only use windev/webdev, and if so would you have rather learned another language?

-has anyone stopped using it in favor of another suite, specifically Visual Studio.

-Do you use both?

im trying to get some input, to use the suite that will be best moving forward.

thank you

Hi and welcome to the site. Lets make it clear: Learning to use an IDE like Windev/Webdev does NOT teach you how to build web sites. It only teaches you how to use the IDE. The main reason you would use this development environment is if you work for a company which has standardized on this development environment for their in-house developments.

If you want to learn how to build web sites, then I would strongly recommend you start out by learning the languages that web browsers actually execute: HTML, CSS and JavaScript. Then you can branch out into the server languages that run behind the scenes: PHP and SQL etc...

Alternatively, if you lack the aptitude or desire to build web sites from scratch, there are many many CMSs (like WordPress) that will generate the code for you. They have a wide range of pre-written themes that provide virtually any functionality that you could ever need. There is, of course, a down-side to using CMSs and themes, principally:
    - There are so many to choose from, you could spend a lifetime just researching them!
    - Code bloat, and slow loading times.
    - Difficulty in adapting them to do anything other than what they have been designed to do!

I may have slightly exaggerated the problems with using CMSs. They are very useful for getting a site up and running in the minimum time and effort. Just be aware that there can be issues down the line...

Great, thank you for your input.

can you suggest any materials or resources on the internet that i could use to teach myself HTML, CSS, and JavaScript.
    i do consider myself fairly intelligent, and willing to learn these procedures for constructing web sites.

w3schools.com is pretty popular, at least for introductory lessons. It used to be kind of sucky in some regards, but they have eliminated a fair amount of that suckiness over the last couple years, I think. It doesn't hurt though to try a variety of sources, even just searching youtube for video tutorials -- by getting a variety of inputs you'll have a better chance to see what the majority opinions tend to be. (ALERT: developers rarely -- if ever -- completely agree on anything!)

As far as development tools, to a large degree it depends on what you want to do, along with personal preferences for programming languages/frameworks; and whether your emphasis will be creating lots of similar, basic web sites for similar clients or be creating new, varying, complex web sites/functionality for different types of clients; etc.
    "Well done....Consciousness to sarcasm in five seconds!" ~ Terry Pratchett, Night Watch

How to Ask Questions the Smart Way (not affiliated with this site, but well worth reading)

My Blog
    cwrBlog: simple, no-database PHP blogging framework

Better yet....

If you want to learn HTML and basic JavaScript, start with our site, HTMLGoodies.com! There are a lot of articles that are straightforward and cut right to how to do things in a friendly, not 'referencey' kind of way!
    --- My Signature ---

To your question of 'web dev' or 'win dev', we have to ask.... what are you actually wanting to do? Web Dev is a broad term that can mean many things. There is building basic sites, there are creating web pages, then there are things as complicated as building mobile apps that work across multiple browsers. Depending on the type of application (web or otherwise) that you want to do, there might be a different answer to your question.

Starting with HTML, CSS, and JavaScript is a good approach. I suggest taking a look at some of the "How do I..." articles on HTMLGoodies and try to replicate what is being done. To learn the basic of these, you don't need a fancy IDE. A simple editor like Notepad on Windows is all you need!

Brad!
    --- My Signature ---

i am directly referencing PC Soft's IDE suites WebDev, WinDev And Mobile.

the main gist of my question is if anyone has used PC Soft's suites and determined it was not the right tool, and why not.

my goal is to create an application that spans all devices. looking at these suites there seems to be a lot of potential for executing this. i am not intending to create a "basic" website.

Thank You!

Thread Information