www.webdeveloper.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hackers, in you opinion, are ... ?

Crackers, in you opinion, are ... ?

Hackers have been around since before Personal Computers (the first ones use to hack into the phone systems to place free calls to, er, wherever) Now of course today, hackers have driven software security to new heights, creating encryption methods, flood post controls, password authentication, and of course much more. They cause much havoc, but still, many people idolize them.

Well, what prompted me to post this, is that when I tell my non-computer type friends that I know all of this web development type-stuff, their first reaction is always "So, do you hack into computers and write viruses and all that cool stuff?". There's a lot of people who view these virus writers and hackers as being really cool.

My personal opinion is that they're, obviously, a menance. But I really feel that these people, who think they are so cool because they crack into systems, are nothing but cowards. If they were really talented, why don't they try making hacker-proof systems? Maybe they're just too scared to create their own software, and it's just easy to create malicious virii. But this is just, of course, my opinion. What I really would like to know is, how do you all view hackers/virii writers, IYO?
    Last edited by MstrBob; 06-04-2004 at 06:26 PM.

HACKERS RULE, I LOVE THEM. THEY ARE JOB SECURITY FOR THE GOOD PEOPLE AT SOPHOS, SYMANTEC, MCAFEE, TREND, MICRO, AND MY FRIEND WHO IS IN THE SECURITY BIZ BENEFITS FROM THEM . I just dont like being the one who is getting raped by them actually in all reality, I am not a big fan of them.

I know a guy whith a big conspiracy theory, he seems to think that the anti virus and fire wall makers hire people to make virii to create business. Thats like adt hireing people to rob houses. Or if fire fighters were a commercial buisiness, firefighters starting house and forest fires. Paramedics running people down in the parking lott. Doctors hire mcdonalds to give people cancer with their french fries!!! Thats a good one.
    Last edited by PeOfEo; 06-03-2004 at 11:26 PM.

You guys have confused hackers and crackers (see this)... To be a hacker is not at all a bad thing, and I have great respect for anyone who can honestly say they are a hacker.

hacking+smacking=cracking

there are hacker, and there are smackers, sometimes a hacker smacks a machine around enough he actually cracks it, but generally, its the actual crackers (just a coincidence many are caucasian-- but many are also asian too) usually who do the real dirty stuff.

So... then... are we web developers considered hackers, or just web developers?

probably neither... usually it is refering to those who use compiled languages (aka: C++, Java, etc.)

Aaah, C++. I started to learn it last summer, then stopped. But allow me to ask a question, can C++ be used to create windows-type programs? When I first started learning it, it's all MS-DOS. At more advanced stages of C++, does one create the type of programs the general masses use and such?

Originally posted by MstrBob
    Aaah, C++. I started to learn it last summer, then stopped. But allow me to ask a question, can C++ be used to create windows-type programs? When I first started learning it, it's all MS-DOS. At more advanced stages of C++, does one create the type of programs the general masses use and such?
    First there was C, then C++, now there's C# (I don't know if it's portable to any OS other than Windows). When you start basic programming, everything is DOS, but with a good compiler you can create menus and GUIs (pronounced "gewy," stands for "graphical user interface," in case ya didn't know that). Most of the programs that run on Windows, Linux, and/or Mac (but not just Windows) is either C, C++, or Java. There's also Pascal, Delphi, COBOL, and so on, but I don't know much about those -- they aren't as popular as C, C++, and Java, from what I understand. If it only runs on Windows, you're probably looking at a Visual BASIC program.

To answer your original question, though, I'd say that while I don't agree with what hackers do or their reasons to do what they do (unless it's justified), they are very useful. How? Well, you can try to hack, for example, my forum. You're a hacker! Is that a bad thing? Not unless you continuously exploit your hack without reporting it (glares at Adam Brill). Eventually, though, thanks to the hacker(s), the system as it its top security level, which will prevent any real damage once it's released. This is usually known as the testing phase of software, but it doesn't mean that once it's released it can't be hacked. But once it is hacked, you can find the exploited hack and fix it, so that they no longer can. Now, on a Web site such as www.gametalk.com, there is no reason to hack, flood, impersonate other users, or break any other forum rules. However, there are some -- myself included -- who've developed ways to get administratior and moderator passwords, as well as all of the abilities that a Moderator or the Administrator can have. Did we break the law? Absolutely. However, we've reported it to the administrator -- Mike Pooler, FYI -- and he's proceeded to fix the problems. Our reasons were justified -- at least, mine were. By explaining the hacking process to the administrator, we've helped a great deal. So have we hacked? Yes, indeed; however, it was for the good of the Web site, in the long run. This is why I believe justified hacking is a good thing, whereas I believe unjustified hacking -- such as getting passwords and not reporting anything to whom it belongs -- is a very nasty deed.
    Visit Slightly Remarkable to see my portfolio, resumé, and consulting rates.

My dear Jona; What is your signature about?

Best Wishes,
    David
    More of a journal than a blog.

Truly great madness cannot be achieved without significant intelligence.
    GMail | Mezzoblue | 1976 Design | Zeldman | Justwatchthesky | Jon Hicks | Airbag | All In The Head

Originally posted by davidbrent
    My dear Jona; What is your signature about?
    Run the PHP code.

I agree with Sam, and the ESR article he linked to. I particularly like this:
    Hackers build things, crackers break them.
    Officially I don't support cracking in any form (though I have been known to experiment with my college network once in a while ). Hacking, though, is a different story. I would like to be called a hacker, but I don't think I'm experienced enough to merit the title. Someday, perhaps...

Adam
    "If you’re not using valid HTML, then you haven’t created a Web page. You may have created something else, but it isn’t a Web page." - Joe Clark

Do something amazing (USA) | Make Poverty History

white hat is a hacker who is not mallitious, a black hat is millitious, he can be worse then a cracker because he can do more damage. Black hat = boldimort, white hat = Harry potter. Crackers do not break, they break in, crackers crack passwords, encryption etc. Hackers break things in general, and also practice the art of getting in to where they are not supposed to, but may di it by other means besides brute forcing a password etc. Programmers build things . Carpenters build things.

Originally posted by PeOfEo
    mallitious ... millitious
    You seem to be having a li'l bit of difficulty with that word. I understand you, but think of it as a derivative from the word "malice." Maybe that will help you to remember it's spelled "malicious."

Not trying to be mean or picky, just thought I'd give a friendly tip from one student to another.

Ill be sure to forget that, I can't just jap a correct spelling into my head and expect it to come back out correct. I am a crappy speller, always have been. LEAVE ME ALONE *cries*

Originally posted by PeOfEo
    Ill be sure to forget that, I can't just jap a correct spelling into my head and expect it to come back out correct. I am a crappy speller, always have been. LEAVE ME ALONE *cries*
    Bah, I've been ruined for this before. I'm sorry. I'm a grammar/spelling critic. It just comes natural. I'll try not to do it again.

But... maybe www.spellchecker.net would help some, or Windows Word?

Thread Information