dcsimg
www.webdeveloper.com

Thread: dabblesmith.com

dabblesmith.com

Hi all,

I could really use a review of my website - dabblesmith.com. Functionally, I think it's fine, but I would like to be able to generate more traffic and do better affiliate marketing.

Also, I could use a quick review of my other site - webdesign.dabblesmith.com.

Thanks in advance for your reviews.

elkevo

Opened your site and hit F12
    see lots of errors.

6 HTML errors
    https://validator.w3.org/nu/?doc=htt...lesmith.com%2F
    CSS Errors (57) Warnings (66)
    https://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/...rning=&lang=en

Needs lots of work.

Hey @elkevo As a designer I can tell you a few things. I like the concept of the design that it is simple and easy to use, but work more on the things how they are placed (restructure them) and make a logo. Look on the internet for designs and you may become with an idea how to improve yours. As a programmer I will tell you to try to fix the errors or to minimize the number of them at least.
    Don't give up and keep working on both sites. I'm looking further to see what you gonna do next.

I'm pretty sure the errors are from the Wordpress theme I'm using and I'm not overly concerned about them. Sure, as a programmer, the errors don't sit right with me either, but do they prevent the page from running or is the css breaking the page layout? Any fixes would probably be overwritten by a theme update anyway...

I have been struggling with the layout of the sidebars. What elements to include, do away with, and where to place them. I'm assuming that is what you were referring to. I actually feel ok about the post layout. And you're right, I definitely need a logo... I know a guy...

I appreciate the feedback!

Having a look at your code, it appears to me that you have something like 1,600 lines of CSS and then your importing more CSS sheets...

Only load in to the page what you need to render it, you are adding unnecessary weight to the page and that relates to load speed, the lower a users bandwidth the longer they will be waiting for the page to load. Contrary to popular belief, not all the world is on broadband, so people sub narrowband connections and mobile internet who are still on 3g or worse, they will suffer from having to wait for a page to load allot of bloat before it becomes useful, this will directly relate to the number of bailouts your site will experience.

Then I note you're loading more than 10 JQuery libraries, thats adding more than a Megabyte of weight to your page, why load so many JQuery libraries and tools? I don't see anything on the page that can't be done in CSS or plain old JavaScript, I reckon you could easily reduce your page weight to one that is more carbon neutral

Then, some time after line 1929 your page starts.

TBH I think that a simple web page like yours using 2960 lines to render is just too much bloat, cut down to only what you need and if something can be done with using JavaScript and not a library, think more along the lines that your viewer only had HTML and CSS abilities and only put in those elements that are needed. If you do browser detection, you can then limit the CSS to only import those CSS files for that browser type that are quirky while keeping the bulk of what is generic in a seperate file to load.

If you have code requirement for those who have JavaScript enabled, you are better off using plain old JavaScript because it is native to the browser and ready to go when the script is rendered, unlike a library / framework, you have to load the library / framework first, then your JQuery scripting and then it gets to work if JavaScript is supported.

I see allot of sites that rely heavily on these tools and designers that do not think beyond their world of broadband. There are people on low bandwidth, slow dialup, even today... You have people with browsers and devices that do not have JavaScript or JavaScript enabled and developers wonder why they have high bailout rates.

So your site needs to go on a diet!
    --> JavaScript Frameworks like JQuery, Angular, Node <--
    ... and please remember to wrap code with forum BBCode tags:-

[CODE]...[/CODE] [HTML]...[/HTML] [PHP]...[/PHP]

If you can't think outside the box, you will be trapped forever with no escape...

Thread Information